Do oxygen sensors eventually all fail?

I don’t see why a California emissions vehicle would use some ultra-rare, nigh mythical oxygen sensor. They are just that…sensors…they take readings. The ECU would be the device that interpets said readings and makes adjustments. As seen here: http://www.autozone.com/shopping/repairGuide.htm?pageId=0900c15280197f65

there is no mention made as to different specs for O2 sensors for the Sienna. I looked at several differnt autoparts websites and none specified a certain 02 sensor for California emissions vehicles.

Jeez… anyone have any experience replacing the O2 sensor on an older manifold pipe? Didn’t want to start a whole new thread for an answer. Should I do it? or I’m I just looking for unnecessary grief replacing it?

ChevyBlue,
Preventive Maintenance is for things with a known failure period. There isn’t a known failure period for oxygen sensors.
There are tests, with a scan tool or / and oscilloscope (or, fast-response voltmeter) for checking the switching rate (cross over rate) for oxygen sensors, and a couple of other factors. I suppose for most (relatively) inexpensive oxygen sensors, it would make fiscal sense to change the oxygen sensors rather than pay to have them tested (especially, on high mileage engines).
To remove an oxygen sensor, and have the least chance of it seizing, run the engine until the exhaust manifold gets hot. There are gloves and arm protectors to protect you from getting burned on the hot exhaust as you remove the oxygen sensor. On some oxygen sensors, there may be room to use a box-end wrench. The additional leverage may, or, may not, be necessary.