Do I really need awd?

Traffic bond.
A dense graded base comes in various stone sizes corresponding to the anticipated load.

This is what we used on gravel driveways and shoulders prone to washout. It packs down and becomes almost like concrete…

Sounds familiar, you can get anything you want down the road with no problems and it’s at least as smooth as the dead end county road (which gets paved when the county feels like it)

Get a pickup load of rock and patch the holes, let everyone drive over it for a couple days and your good for a year or so.

Check out the Subaru! They are AWD and that should help in any weather. Now, since it snows infrequently, maybe five times a year, and if you DO NOT get a four wheel or AWD drive get snow tires for the season. You will not always need them, but you will have them to be on the safe side. Plus, the Subaru has more ground clearance than other sedans. Another question is, how soon does the snow melt in your area. I used to live in New Jersey and Maine and it snowed ALL the time and if I had not had a AWD I would have had problems for sure. Do your research before you purchase, but you can’t go wrong with AWD no matter what you purchase.

1 Like

You do NOT NEED snow tires for places that don’t get that much snow. NH gets a lot more snow then 5 times a year. First fwd vehicle wife owned was an 87 Accord, then a 96 Accord and now an 07 Lexus. Just bought good all-season tires and with well over 700k miles total on those 3 vehicles and never ever having a problem. Very few places will you actually NEED snow tires. Do they help? Sure, but not NEEDED. Most (90%) of the time in NH we’re driving on dry or wet roads. No need for snow or even winter tires.

1 Like

This is a person who is still going to college so they don’t need any kind of used all wheel drive . And as NH Mike says front wheel drive will work enough of the time .
Parcora apparently has a decent vehicle and should finish school before being concerned about driving ’ Mom ’ cars what ever that means .

When Consumer Reports tested AWD systems on snow a couple years ago, they found the Subaru Forester was better going uphill on snow than the Honda CRV and the Toyota RAV4.

Everyone seems to be missing OPs point. OP wants some sportier and quicker than her Equinox, although, at my age, I consider referring to any 4 door sedan as sporty an oxymoron.
Most of the alternives suggested have been for various grocery getters.

I still go by my original suggestion of her keeping her current SUV until graduation and a job. The location of her job may be sutible fora sedan.

I am also old enough to remember growing up in Minnesota, a rear wheel drive, open differential can do quite well in snow with good snow tires and if necessary a set of chains. Even living in the California desert, after a surprise four inches of snow, found our old Pinto with “all weather” tires did okay.

Well, maybe a Cadillac CTS-V is sporty. BMW M3, too,

Edit: The M3 is a coupe, so strike that, but add any Benz AMG sedan.

They may have the handling capabilities, but…
It’s just my opinion. Much like, what was the first muscle car—a 1940 Buick Century (smaller Buick Special body/ frame with Roadmaster dual carb engine), 49 Olds 88, 56 Golden Hawk, or the 64 GTO.
Or sports car vs sporty car.
Two car people (gear heads) will never agree!!