DIY'er modifications to make car repair easier?

How is a guy that drives a train going to help? Though I still cannot understand how the studs got screwed up.

This discussion just keeps on going. I used to use Anti Seize on my trailer studs but some here caution that on wheel studs that can throw the torque needed off and not recommended. I don’t do that anymore.

I cut a fuel pump access plate under the rear seat of my SUV. Made servicing the pump very easy. Shortly thereafter, the evap pressure sensor failed so THAT was very easy, too.

Most anything that comes off gets the threads cleaned and blue LocTite added for re-install. Not so much to retain it as to block moisture from wicking into the threads and more rust occurring.

All brake rotor pilot hubs get anti-seize because to allow them to come apart easier.

Silicon grease on spark plug wires or coil boots.

Left and Right hand studs are still around, but mainly for larger vehicles

Some of the class 8 trucks in our fleet use left handed threads on the left side and right handed threads on the right side. They’re clearly marked, as mentioned earlier

1 Like

That’s what I did before I came up with the 2-piece shroud idea. With a 1-piece shroud I think that’s the only way to gain enough room to remove the fan blade.

The threads get messed up by a mechanic who tries to force them on with an air gun, obliterating the the threads

I’ve done this exact thing on a couple of 90’s Ford Vans that my fleet used to have. These Ford’s had big ole’ diesel engines crammed in them. The two part shroud made anything engine related easier to accomplish. One of the best things I ever did with those vans- other than getting rid of them :wink:

the fun part of the story is, I learned that this could work from my GMC Pickup and a Chevy van- that both came from the factory with two part shrouds.

1 Like

My mod for ease of maintenance: On both the 2006 Tahoe and the 2006 Yukon XL, I replaced several of the straight Zerks with right angle Zerks so I could grease the cars more easily. and without taking the skid plate off.

2 Likes

I left a short length of tubing, below the radiator stopcock, on the drain leading out to where it would drain – it also helps me find the stopcock, which I can only see from an angle and can only reach from a different angle (by following the tubing with my hand)

2 Likes