Distracted Driver is Actually an Impaired Driver

On our 04 Acura we finally gave up trying to set up the Blue Tooth but worked ok on our 08.

Worth mentioning that the gov’t has jacked taxes on cigarettes to the point that many people “roll their own” to save money. So, that “scraggly, pot-smoking hippie” may well have just been a poor guy sick of paying off the taxman for his habit.

The latest thing is “vaping,” where you inhale the nicotine as a mist; no burning at all! Obviously, this is FAR better on your lungs than smoking…it would have to be. The taxman, OTOH, doesn’t get his vigorish, so lawmakers of late have been talking about “outlawing” vaping. All in the name of “health,” of course! (When really they’re ticked their addicts are going to another supplier, just like every other dealer.)

First rule of econ: when they say “It’s not the money; it’s the principle involved”…it’s the money.

Are you logically consistent, then, and refuse to engage in conversations while driving? 'Cause from a “time-and-motion” standpoint, there’s scant difference between talking to someone 36 inches away, and 36 miles away. (Except that you can unilaterally end a phone conversation at any moment, of course.)

I do NOT talk on my cellphone while I’m driving

Period

I keep my phone in my pocket, and if it happens to ring, I’ll check my missed calls when I arrive at my destination

I tell people that I do not talk on my phone while driving, and if I don’t pick up, it’s probably because I’m driving

I feel I was pretty clear

Are you equating cellphone conversations while driving with carrying on conversations with people in the car?

Go ahead, if you feel like it

What about you . . . do you talk on the phone while driving?

If so, hands-free or one hand on the phone and one hand on the steering wheel?

Unequivocably, yes.

Under specific conditions, and as workload permits, yes.

“Hands-free” is for rich people who can afford new cars. The rest of us make do with what we have. 1 hand is sufficient to control a car with PS, and the phone can immediately be dropped if evasive maneuvers are required. I typically drive one-handed, anyways; the other is frequently on the clutch.

I’m glad to hear you’re such a good driver

In my neck of the woods, I constantly see people doing exactly you’re describing causing accidents . . . every day

One hand on the steering wheel, one hand on the phone, pressed to their ear. Engaged in animated conversations, no situational awareness whatsoever, changing lanes without signaling, without even LOOKING, weaving in and out, cutting people off, honking, etc.

Evidently, you’re better trained at multitasking than they are

The investigation is not complete yet but there as an accident here in OK a few weeks ago in which it was stated that cell records were being looked at.

An elderly woman was being transferred from one health facility to a hospital and the ambulance veered off the expressway and rolled. The ambulance was wiped, both EMTs were injured, and the elderly woman being transported lost her life after being ejected on the gurney.

The video on the news showed a right hash of things as the Brits would say. What a sad way for someone to go. Killed by the very people who are supposed to be looking after your health. Lawsuits no doubt being considered…

Oregon solved their loss of tax revenue from tobacco smokers rolling their own cigarettes by heavily taxing loose tobacco and rolling papers. First rule of econ: is very true here.

Very tragic. First responders and tow truck drivers are exempt from Oregon’s cellphone law.