Dirty Tricks, Or, Questions You Wouldn't Think To Ask When Shopping For A New Car

@Ed Frugal, a few years ago there was a “Mr. Cheap” posting here that also had a 1993 Festiva. Truly, everyone has a twin somewhere.

I hope you’re right, TwinTurbo. I guess I just don’t trust tech I cannot quite understand. Like when I set my browser settings to “do not track”, I always wonder if they’re tracking me anyway. I’d go get that Samsung phone with the removable battery before I get an iPhone. If I can take the battery out, then I know for sure its really powered down. I hope I’m not coming off as a nut, I try to be practical about things, I understand that life is a trade off between privacy and convenience. I just draw the line a little (or a lot) closer to privacy than to convenience.

Sorry to digress again, but here’s a little story. I do have a portable TomTom GPS unit. I use it on trips, but mostly it sits in a kitchen drawer because I know how to get to work. The unit will turn itself on, seemingly at random. I’ll be sitting in my kitchen when I suddenly hear, “Turn around when possible, and make a left turn at the end of the street.” The first time that happened I was home alone and almost fell right out of my chair it startled me so badly. But that kind of thing makes me wonder if the phones, webcams, etc can do that sort of thing without the user knowing it. I read about that story up in PA where the school district was activating the students webcams on the school issued laptops without any informed consent, and the parents had filed a class action lawsuit, although I never heard what became of it.

But you’re absolutely right, a little knowledge is dangerous. Since I don’t really understand the technology, and I definitely don’t trust the companies (too much marketing $$$ to be made off of tracking people) I prefer to be safe than sorry, to the extent that it is practical for me to do so.

You know you can get a faraday bag which will block the cell signal etc when the device is totally enclosed. Of course, this might kill your battery pretty quick as the device keeps searching for a signal.

The bait and switch on interest rates is a common dealer trick. Its best to just get financing through your own bank. If you do go through the dealer, just don’t drive the car off the lot until you have the financing approved and documentation in hand. Until you drive off the lot, you can back out of the deal for any reason.

Does the auto come with a “Are you sure you want to lock the keys in the car?” warning, similar to the message from an operating system that will ask if you are sure you want to delete a file.

Something else to consider is the use of a timing belt or chain. Some people are really against the belts and will only consider a car with a chain. Also, some belt engines are interference so the pistons smash into the valves, possibly destroying the engine if the belt breaks in operation. This is becoming more the norm too as the design of interference engines tends to make them slightly more efficient and have better emissions for the EPA.

Chains are supposed to last the life of the engine but some who run them 200,000 miles and beyond will need to change them out. If you get a car with a belt, consider it will cost you several hundred dollars every 60,000-100,000 to have it changed or you can change it yourself.

Timing belts are on my mind right now as I just changed one on a Suzuki Reno over the weekend.

Something else I hate are all the electronic automation systems in some modern cars. The radio is also the air conditioning control and such. MY parents bought an Acura and paid extra for the technology package. I personally would pay extra NOT to have it. I have a friend with the Ford system and it is terrible. He is a huge Ford fan but says it would be a blessing if someone hit him and totaled the car as it is that bad. MY brother has a Chrysler and likes the one on it. I guess they finally did something right.

Also, some belt engines are interference so the pistons smash into the valves, possibly destroying the engine if the belt breaks in operation.

And some chain engines are interference also. In fact 3 vehicles I own are chain driven and are interference.

It’s something I never consider when buying a vehicle. Although the long-term cost of owning a chain with an interference engine might be cheaper if you keep it 300k miles.

Just to add or reiterate a few more items after looking at the Acura ads, all wheel steering, start and stop, spare tire? and I really don’t like my windows and sunroof opening up in the rain if I happen to have the key fob in my pocket and the buttons get pushed.