Differential (Rear) change

So the drive shaft just magically goes from the transaxle to the rear Diff???
Something has to drive the driveshaft (propeller shaft) to the rear diff…

It has a diff of some shape form or fashion in the middle between the trans and rear diff, how it applies power is not the question, how it gets there is, it has a 3rd diff…

An older Honda transaxle (and maybe newer ones also) was a cross between a manual geared trans and an conventional auto trans, then you have your normal auto trans, then you have a CVT trans, they are all differently designed and have very little in common by design but they are all still considered Automatic transmissions…

Just because the way different manufactures controls the power to the wheels differently doesn’t change the basic concept…

Yup!
It’s that electronic coupling just ahead of the rear diff, which can transfer varying amounts of torque to the rear diff. Maybe your eyes are better than mine, but I don’t see a center differential located on the drive shaft.

I’m not saying that you are wrong about how it works, I have worked on them, I know that, I am saying that a 3rd diff attacked to the transaxle, (that is not attached to a basic FWD) is what sends power to the electronic coupling through a driveshaft…
So you have the trans, then 3rd (center) diff, then rear driveshaft, then electronic coupling, then rear diff…

If you don’t understand that then I don’t know how else to explain it…

Right back at you.
:laughing:

1 Like

No experience w/your Rav-4’s configuration. But on my much-older 4WD Ford truck my experience is the rear diff fluid is pretty robust; unless it gets any water in it, then it must be replaced asap. Have you driven through any high water? I expect you already know, best bet is to ask at Toyota dealership shop for their opinion.

No, that’s not a differential. All it does is transfer the motion 90 degrees to turn the driveline. There is nothing in there that allows for any difference in speeds. The rear driveline is always turning at the same speed as the RF axle shaft. The coupling near or inside the rear differential is what makes it AWD.

6 Likes

My apology’s VDC Driver, I can admit when I am wrong, I forgot about using a Right Angle Gearboxes on some models, thanks for pointing that out ASEmaster… Oops…

It’s a big man who can admit his mistakes, so I appreciate your admission that I was correct. Just for future reference, because I don’t like being proven wrong, I always try to verify my knowledge before I post it.

Because of my long experience with Subaru’s AWD system–which uses a Center Viscous Coupler rather than a Center Differential–I was pretty sure that Toyota’s system was similar, but then I learned that Toyota’s system utilizes an electronic coupling device, rather than a viscous coupler.

However, my inkling is that Subaru has probably also gone to an electronic device in recent years. My most recent Subaru experience dates back to the 2011 model year, and I think that they have updated their AWD technology since then.

1 Like

Thank you VDCdriver… I am the same way except I post mainly based on memory and experience, I have a lot of experience and a pretty good memory but not a great one… lol
I have worked on the rear ends some with this design a few years ago but I guess I didn’t pay much attention to the transaxle end and how/what the driveshaft bolted up to in front…

1 Like