Difference between a LS1 motor and a 350

what is the difference between a chevrolet

LS1 motor and a 350

An LS1 is a model of 350, used in a lot of Camaros and Corvettes.

what is the difference hp wise and life wise

what is the horse power and life diference

An LT-1 and an LS-1, along with others, are all 350s in displacement.

The engines belong to different generations. The LT was a pushrod engine similar to the old 350s and the LS is an aluminum engine.
The LS is vastly different but displacement is the same.

Do some net searching and you should be able to find out info on this because the Chevy small block has a long, long history.

I should have added that there is no life expectancy difference if the engines are driven and maintained the same.

There is no set answer to the horsepower question. The LS is more powerful than the LT and neither may be more powerful than an older 350. It all depends on which year 350 you’re talking about.

The mid 70s/80s era 350s were drastically detuned so the LT and LS would have more power than those era engines.

Wasn’t the LS made by Mercury Motors???

True, the LS is a 4 dr. sports sedan made by Lincoln-Mercury.
The LS-1 is an aluminum, 350 CI engine that got their start in the newest generation of Corvettes. It’s a completely different engine than the preceding LT-1, which closely resembled most Chevy small blocks.
(I forget the LS-1 HP rating; something like 330-340??)

Actually I was talking about the engine…But I had it wrong. The ZR1 was built by Mercury Marine…Designed by Lotus. It was an all Aluminum block. Took me a few minutes to find it on the web.

I had forgotten all about the ZR-1. Those engines were built under contract by Mercury Marine right down the road from me in Stillwater, OK.

No idea why GM used a boat outfit unless they have some corporate tie or one-off technology that GM saw fit to use in the DOHC application rather than engineer their own.

No idea why GM used a boat outfit unless they have some corporate tie or one-off technology that GM saw fit to use in the DOHC application rather than engineer their own.

My understanding was that Mercury Marine had a lot of experience building Aluminum block engines. They had the process down right. At the time GM didn’t have a lot of experience building Aluminum engines…Remember the Vega??

the 350 im talking about is like in the 95 camero. my friend is looking for a 97 camero with a LS1 motor and a 6 speed manual because he thinks that the 350 in the 95 camero is not as good as the LS1 in the 97 camero .