Diet manual transmissions

I think of that often, unfortunately.

Re: Good old days, when you Drive by the seat of your pants

Good video! With some early-era cars, even that wasn’t possible, they required an assistant to help the driver. Loco-mobile for example.

1 Like

I have come to love the front/top down view camera I have on my Bolt and find it difficult to decide if I want to give that feature up on my next vehicle. I also have to wonder if they will eventually be mandated the same way a backup camera has been. It is so helpful when pulling into a parking spot and getting that extra bit closer to the vehicle in front of me without hitting it and making sure I’m all squared away in the parking spot.

1 Like

Funny my 22yo daughter’s car has a lot of safety stuff that she has turned off (if able) and doesn’t like using, she doesn’t even use CC, but she does like the auto dimming bright lights, but it was a year or more before she realized she had it cause she would dim them herself
 She never uses her backup camera, doesn’t fully trust it, but she also knows how to adjust all her mirrors and how to use her eyes as well
 Funny thing is I started teaching her and her older brother how to drive a few years before they turned 16 and had there permits at 15
 I also drilled them driving in the snow how to handle a vehicle in a slide. I would randomly yank the e-brake on them and make them drive out of it
 She can whip in a parking spot and be centered and straight, but I worked with her for countless hours every week for a few years until it was 2nd nature when they both got their permits at 15 and reg at 16
 The reason vehicles need all these safety equipment systems is because a lot of people can’t drive now a days
 Or too dang distracted by the Big Screen where the radio used to be

2 Likes

I also REALLY like that feature. In addition to helping me to park precisely, it is very helpful when pulling into my garage. I would never want another vehicle that lacks this feature, but I think that w/in a few years it is likely to be a standard feature on all but the very cheapest econoboxes.

I’d like that feature on my car but don’t have it. I do like the rear facing cameras on both B-pillars though.

I recently discovered that it does even more than I originally thought. If I press the front camera button while driving forward, it shows side clearances (like the opening to the garage) via blue lines, as well as the forward view. I also knew that, if it detects parallel white lines in a parking lot, it gives me an aerial view that enables me to perfectly align the car–left, right, and rear.

But, as I accidentally found last week, if I press the button after I have put the trans into “P”, it does a 360 “spin” view around the car, and then it finishes up with an aerial view of the car and its surroundings.
Pretty cool.
:cool:

Neat but just like Amazon, it’s now stored in a computer in Utah. Every year I get an ad from a lawn care company. It includes a Birds Eye view of my house. I would never do business with them.

Not Utah, it’s stored in Beijing, Moscow, and Pyongyang! Maybe Utah is just an intermediate storage site.

@bing, your home is visible using Google Maps. It’s also not likely a current photo. You might also check every real estate app or website in your area. Your house from above is available on all of them. Your other favorite whipping boy, the IRS, is mentioned late in the video below.

2 Likes

Yeah I know all that. The local property listings include pictures, floor plan, purchase price, taxes, when they were paid etc. they contained themselves not to include signatures and social security numbers. About everything you need to do a fake quit claim deed. However the local registrar has a program to notify you if your name is ever included on a document. So that would help stop anyone messing with the title right at the start. Then I can’t emphasize enough the importance of title insurance. We’re pretty safe in our little town but when the boys move into an area, they hit it pretty hard, like in Florida. You get free lawyers with title insurance.

Still, I consider a fly over picture of my house a privacy violation even though the shades are pulled for the shower.

That’s a good idea. Is it something you have to sign up for?

Yeah you have to do a google account or something and register with the register of deeds.

Pffftttt If you want to fly over and look in my windows it is your on fault cause you will need perfectional psychiatric help after gouging out your eyes, so more power to ya
 :rofl:

1 Like

The overhead photos are from a satellite in low earth orbit. Google uses several sources:

Worldview, altitude 617 km, resolution 1.24 meters (color) 30 cm (panchromatic)

Quickbird, altitude 450 km, resolution 2.62 m (color) 65 cm (panchromatic)

Other sources are Pleiades 1A, SPOT-7, Sentinel-2A, and LANDSAT-8. All have similar or worse resolution. LANDSAT and Sentnel resolutions are 10 meters or more. No license plate readers here and off angle resolutions are worse since it’s a longer distance to Earth.

Haha! You’re about to see something you cannot un-see :laughing:

1 Like

Please be sure to keep us updated on the progress of your landmark lawsuit to pursue “justice” in regard to that “violation”.

Those photos are said to be used to to prosecute weed abatement citations here.

If you do not like photos of you home being on line, you should be very glad you do not live near me. I use my drone to shoot “Photospheres” and post them on Google Earth and Google Maps.

Below is a link to one of my Photospheres, it is shot from about 300’ and you can scroll all around the neighborhood and even zoom in for a closer look

1 Like

There’s a guy down there with a blue shirt on looks like he is up to no good. Too cold for the pool yet.

Not to get legal but people do own the air space above their land though. How high up hasn’t really been settled. Firing a shot gun though is generally prohibited in town. My beef is more with a solicitation though, not a hobbyist or satellite. I get offers from real estate folks but even they don’t include pictures.

You are mistaken; the US Government owns ALL the airspace over the sovereign United States.

Federal law provides that the United States government has exclusive sovereignty of airspace of the United States; the FAA makes the plans and policy for the use of the navigable airspace; and any citizen has a public right of transit through the navigable airspace. 49 U.S. Code § 40103.

https://www.govregs.com/uscode/title49_subtitleVII_partA_subparti_chapter401_section40103

I posted about this previously, as long as I am not disturbing the peace, or flying so close to a structure and looking in (as In peeping), and the airspace is not restricted (proximity of an airport, military installations, etc
) I can fly over your property all day, even low enough to clip our grass

I wrote more completely in the link above, but the use any means to bring a drone down is a Federal Crime and punishable with fines and imprisonment
 Like it or not, even a toy drone is considered an aircraft (abet “unmanned
”) and the FAA takes this as a serious matter. Especially with the advent of Commercial Drone Deliveries and these drones are NOT toys and the drone itself may weigh over 50-pounds that might travel up to 100 MPH and if a Drone like this came crashing down, it can Kill or seriously injure people or cause some serious damage to property

It’s a changing world
 Remember how folks thought it was the end of civilized society in the 1950s when the guys had Pompadours and Duck Tails on their hair? In the 1960, the hippy movement, and on and on.

And you’ve seen the videos of drones that can carry a person and no license is required

You will have to get used to it as someday your daughter’s boyfriend will fly outside your daughter’s bed room to ask her to the Prom