Despite getting brand new tires, back right tire continues to deflate

Is the inflation being tested with a gauge on the valve stem, or are you relying on a readout on the dashboard?

You need to find where it is leaking BEFORE we talk about solutions. The shop needs to take the time - or failing that - YOU need to take the time, Otherwise, this is just like replacing parts on a car in hopes that one fixes the problem.

1 Like

I agree, itā€™s just frustrating because these are a set of 4 brand new rims + tires yet the rear right continues to be the issue.

My plan is to just bring it to a tire shop and tell them the whole story and hope for the best.

As It_s_Me pointed out, thereā€™s a chance the old TPMS sensors were swapped to the new wheels but the OP has not responded to that inquiry. A ā€œlazy swapperā€ might tend to keep the TPMS to the same wheel location to avoid reprogramming and so the problem persists at the same wheel even with new tires and rims. Itā€™s about the only reason I can envision as wellā€¦

That question has been asked a couple of times . But at least now they are going to a tire shop to get this solved.

Hey guys. Hereā€™s another update to this saga.

So I took the car to a tire place out here in SF. For $30 they looked at my tire and said that the sensor/washer/stem was misplaced and that it was now fixed. I asked them whether the tire light was still on, and they said that it would eventually turn off. It did not.

I took it back today, and they said that the rear right sensor is not working and needs to be replaced. $90 for the part, $45 to reprogram, and another charge that would total about $200.

I spoke to the previous gentleman who changed the valve stem, and he said that he never touched the TPMS sensor. My guy back in NYC who changed all of our tires & rims states that he changed all the TPMS sensors. My question is why is the TPMS sensor NOW not reading after the guy who changed my oil & valve stem did his work. My tire light before would at least legitimately only turn on when the pressure was low. Now it remains on.

So now Iā€™m waiting on a quote from the first guy I went to who changed the valve stem to see how much heā€™ll charge for a new TPMS sensor and installment. He and the guy from the last tire place both also stated that these sensors tend to go bad after 8-10 years.

At least for now all of my tires are at 35 PSI.

Sigh.

Did he replace the valve stem or valve core?

The valve stem is part of the tire pressure sensor, if one is replaced it must be registered to the receiver. A used sensor may not be compatible with the system, it may not be possible to register a used sensor.

If he really replaced the stem, then he could have damaged the TPMS sensor. If all he replaced was the core, the chances of damaging the sensor goes way down IMO. Not sure if the stem is replaceable on your TPMS sensor or it is integral to the sensorā€¦he could have removed the sensor to clean the stem seat and then reinstalled it. That would be another opportunity for damaging the sensor. Does the work order specify what was done more clearly?

Is the right rear tire actually losing air?