Design choices that create frustration during repairs

Some you do, some you don’t. Some cars (Subaru is the first that comes to mine) have the starter bolts that go through the bell housing, some just attach to the engine block. Same holds for automatic transmissions.

1 Like

I looked up the transmission removal procedure for my Corolla, no mention of removing the starter motor. But there’s very little detailed info mentioned at all. Just a diagram of the parts that hold the transmission to the rest of car. The only transmission removal procedure is: “Remove all these parts” … lol … I’ll take a look at the factory service manual and report back.

If you looked it up in a Haynes book I’m not surprised. I’ve had them since the 1980s into the 2000s and the instructions were spotty at best. You’re on the right track with the factory manual.

2 Likes

Mopar engines (at least the older ones) have the starter that bolts to the transmission…

1 Like

On my diesel you had to remove the frame cross member to get the starter out. And don’t even talk about removing the manifold to get to the starter on my norstar. I had to provide the factory manual to the shop on how to replace the serp belt. About an hour when I did it, feeding it through an about a one inch square hole. Yeah it’s all coming back.

When I used to operate a service business, we called that stuff “manufacturer provided service opportunities”.

1 Like

1 Like

I’d guess mechanics would prefer all cars had that design, increases billable time.

I got to thinking, another of the Corolla’s maintenance challenges is replacing the fuel filter. It’s located in the driver’s side wheel area, and is quite difficult to access the fittings. . The fuel filter would be much easier to replace if it was located in the engine compartment and configured with a cartridge filter, similar to replacing the now-common cartridge engine-oil filters.

I’d classify this complaint more as a quibble, not a huge problem, but something that could be improved still. So what would have to move to make room? Maybe move the evap-canister to the wheel area.

I’m seeing that fixing some electric-window up/down mechanisms in some newer cars requires removing both the inside door panel, and also the outer door panel. Anyone here experienced that configuration? What do you think? Is this configuration a good thing? a bad thing? either way, the repair takes about the same amount of time?

Can you please explain what you mean with “outer door panel” . . . ?!

Are you talking about this kind of setup?

This has been super common for a very long time now :smiley:

My understanding would be the out door panel would be the door skin but I’m listening. Big job, welding, painting, gluing. Gotta be a mistake.

I have experienced several cars where the motor/regulator is serviced by removing the door skin. VW and Saturn stick out in memory.

My last car was a 1999 Chevy Monte Carlo (Front wheel dr). 3.8 Ltr V6.

Front 3 plugs? Easy to get to. Rear plugs? Seemingly impossible to get to. Until I read a post on a Monte Carlo messageboard suggesting a great tip.

First you remove the two torque “Dog Bones” on the front of the engine. Now the engine will move quite a bit on the engine mounts. You open the door, leave the tranny in park. You start moving the car forward, back. You will see the engine move as you do this. After a few times you stamp on the parking brake pedal JUST as the engine moves full forward. You now can reach the rear 3 plugs!

Pretty slick, uhhh?

I remember the 1st Saturn I replaced the window reg on, pulled the door panel and was like WTH??? Took me a few before I started removing the outer door skin…

Remember kids, this was before Google and YouTube… lol

1 Like

I saw this outer-door-panel thing mentioned re servicing a 2000’s VW Golf as I recall. There was no painting/weldng involved with the outer door panel removal, just removing a bevy of fasteners. It wasn’t clear to me exactly what they meant by “outer door panel”. Maybe somebody here can explain the difference b/t an out door panel and a door skin configuration? It was a cable operated window powered by an electric motor.

It’s a panel under the door card, not the door skin.

Thanks. I’d call that part the “inner door panel” myself. It’s further inside the door than the door card. Looks to be pretty big job, but still diy’er doable.

1 Like

Outer door panel removal on an old Saturn SL1:

lol … we seem to back to square one … what exactly is an “outer door panel”?