Denmark checks in

Sorry for a wrong post

Not sure when but the show stopped making new ones several years ago . Tom passed away and Ray as far as I know is only doing his newspaper column . You are hear rebroadcasts compiled from several different programs.

Yup, @VOLVO_V70’s got it. The shows haven’t been made new in many years. The shows you hear are “best of” shows from years past.

But yes, we do drive quite a lot of older cars here in the US in certain parts of the country. Our north salts the heck out of the roads when it snows and cars dissolve. In the west and south parts of the US, there is little to no snow so salt isn’t used and old cars don’t rust away. Add to that, many of those states have NO inspections for anything. Not safety, not exhaust emissions, nothing, so cars roll merrily along for decades.

I welcome another Dane. We have one here that posts regularly and one, me, whose great grandparents emigrated in the 1900’s from Denmark.

Yes welcome. I’m half Scandinavian and a Jusi-Adler Olson author fan out of your part of the world. Yes the shows are frozen in time so the model years will continue to get older and older and older, as we will.

You know you’re hearing a really really old show when the answer they suggest is choke pull-off!

1 Like

I live in Southern California, so there are quite a few older cars here, with virtually no rust

For example, there are lots of Corollas, Civics, Camrys and Accords from the early 1990s being used as daily drivers, because they’re still reliably performing their duties

There are also lots of even older full size domestic pickup trucks being used by gardeners, landscapers, etc.

Hey Danish gentleman: some 50+ years ago I read that Danes pay a 106% tax on the purchase of a car, leading to the saying that when you buy a car, you buy one for the government too. I assume that applies to used cars, too; I also assume it’s gone up since the '60s.

Do you still make Saabs and Volvos there?

I have an '87 Toyota pickup that runs as well as new, easier in the dry Southwest.

I thought Saab and Volvo were originally Swedish, not Danish . . . ?!

3 Likes

Hey guys. The Volvo and the Saab are swedish. But the Saab was for a while under the ownership of GM, then a Chinese company and before it was shut down in the hands of a Dutch car company. The Volvo on the other hand is still going strong under the swedish flag.

But owned by the Chinese

1 Like

I don’t think that either make was ever manufactured in Denmark, but…
Are SAABs made anywhere at this point?

IIRC, after the buyout by Spyker failed, and after a flirtation with Chinese ownership ended, the SAAB name faded into history, and that was several years ago.
:thinking:

Denmark does still have a 106% registration tax on lower priced new cars. The high priced ones are 150% tax. Of course this is alongside a 25% sales tax (VAT) on most everything else. And then there is the 55% income tax…

yet there are lots of folks living there? so 30-70% tax on everything is tenable? i work. i pay bills. i live somewhere. high tax? low tax? seems to be ok.

Apparently, it is because Denmark is consistently ranked as the “happiest” country in the world, and their citizens feel that they derive a lot from the taxes that they pay:

On many quality-of-life measures, Denmark ranks at or near the top countries in the world. We in the USA might initially be repelled by tax policies in some other countries, but then we should also back up and take a good look at the whole picture. My hunch is not many people are clamoring to escape Denmark.

1 Like

Ahemm, I would actually be happy to pay 55 % income tax after my deductions, 'cause that would mean my income would be in the high income brackett. Unfortunately it’s not so I have to suffer with 41 %. At least I don’t have to sell my cars to pay for healthcare. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Danish society, and most European societies, work differently than in the USA. They provide basic services that we don’t get here, like healthcare. Almost all healthcare, except Medicare and Medicaid, are provided by employers here. Same with retirement. Even though most retirement funding is through defined contribution programs, employers are usually funding it. My father in law moved here from Germany in about 1950, but still collects retirement income from the German government because of his work in the dairy before and after WWII. These services cost a lot, and they are funded throughout taxes. We have a lot of services here that are not funded by taxes, but instead by borrowing.

Swedish, Danish, what’s the diff? They’re all cold, dark, and damp. If I owned a car up there I’d drive into a fjord, even if I had to go to Norway.

Yep. Especially after 3 months and 2 days without a single drop of water this year.

No need to do so, there is more than enough food for the fish allready and the car could be donated to somebody in need. :neutral_face:

3 Likes

Is there anyone in need in Denmark?

What happened to OP? What made his post wrong? Did we scare him off?