Deer Whistles: What say ye, yea or nay?

Wish they had Moose whistles.

@MikeInNH
‌‌Wish they had Moose whistles.

How about texting driver whistles,
cell phone talker
bad driver
garage sail searcher whistles

What gets a lot of people is when deer travel in pairs. You watch one pass in front of your car and think you missed it, then you hit the one crossing behind the one you saw.

Meaneyedcatz; why not add a meat grinder to that camshaft. At least you could have lunch too.

around here they travel in herds. during the rut, if you see a doe cross the road looking scared, you know a thicknecked buck will be coming too.

we had a herd of 7 or 8 come thru our steel shop a couple years ago. it was very scary. they panicked and were leaping and crashing everywhere

Why do deer hunters have to cover their scent then sit totally quiet for maybe hours, and yet,
the deer will ignore a noisy car?
Maybe we should allow deer hunters to cruise the roads at dusk and dawn to take out the road-stupid segment of the population.
One person to drive and the other sits in the bed of a pickup, weapon ready.
The ones that get away will maybe learn to stay away from the roads.

Because the deer are smarter than hunters but slower than cars?

you guys are making me hungry.

What makes you think the “whistles” do ANYTHING?? I doubt they produce any sound on any frequency…It would take a sound laboratory and a wind tunnel to test them…NOBODY is going to do that…Then, you have to test the deer…Give me a break…

The reason people buy them is that they only cost a few dollars, and they figure it can’t hurt to try them. From an economic viewpoint, the investment is minimal, so if they don’t work, you really haven’t lost that much. It’s a low risk gamble in terms of the initial investment (the cost of the deer whistles). That is the only reason anyone buys them, and that is how these companies stay in business selling them. The only way you really lose out by buying deer whistles is if you take it for granted that they work and don’t bother looking for deer after you install them, increasing your odds of hitting a deer.

I’d never buy them because I’d be embarrassed to be seen with them on my car, but from an economic standpoint, the fact that they are a small investment works in their favor.

Yep, $12 shot for two sets but they blend right in with the grill and you can hardly tell they are there.

I have had quite a few encounters with wild animals in the road. Fortunately I have never hit one. Many years ago I crested a hill and 5 does were standing in the middle of the road. I stopped and they just stared at me. I moved toward them and they didn’t even flinch. I honked the horn and 4 of them ran into the woods. The 5th one walked up to my vehicle and stood there staring at me! I gave a long blast on the horn and she finally ran into the woods. Years later I rounded a curve and 4 does were standing in the road. I stopped and due to my previous experience I gave them a long horn blast. All 4 ran into the woods. If the whistles are supposed to scare the deer I could see the chance for deer that were intending to stand near the road bolting into the road.

As I sit here eat some fine Deer steak for dinner (no joke, just sat down to eat and this discussion was the first one I seen), I am reading this. First, no they don’t work at all. The only thing I liked about them was most insurance company’s paid to put them back on. All I can tell you is just hit them if you can’t stop safely. Don’t try to panic stop or try to miss them. I have hit over 30 of them ( 2 last year), one on a motorcycle and one on a snowmobile. I walked away from all of them. I could tell you story’s about getting hit Deer and ending up in cars, suv’s and trucks. What I have seen if you don’t slow down and hit them, they just bounce off. Its when you slow down the front end drops and you just scoop them up. The worse damage from hitting a Deer I have seen were when a vehicle coming at you hits one and then it fly’s into you.

now I know how you get your steaks. I could probably fab you a rack for your vehicle that would catch them too, so you would nt have to stop to load them up

I don’t want deer whistles, but I would like to have a wolf whistle that was available back in the 1950s. These whistles worked off the manifold vacuum and when the driver saw a pretty girl, he could sound the whistle that gave a “wolf call”. I haven’t seen or heard one for years–they used to be available in the J.C. Whitney catalog.

@wesw I shoot mine. I try to put at lease 3 in the freezer each year. That being said I have had my share of road kill.

I’ll check my JC catalog. I might be retired but I’m not against having a little fun.

Yes, I hear you Oldbodyman on the evasive driving. I’ve been at it long enough so its just instinct to choose how I’ll hit them. I prefer the front corners though and not a head on. When I hit one with my Riviera one night with the left corner, I never even spilled my coffee. Totaled but still drivable and fixed it myself.

@Bing the last two I hit were both on the left front corner. Did not even kill them, just knocked them down. No damage to my truck. I had one run into my divers door once. I was driving Ranger at the time. Never seen it coming. The door was bent in so bad I had to cut it off because it would not open. Three weeks ago I all most hit a bear. It was a big black bear. His back was even with the hood of my truck. He stopped next to the fence and just looked at me. I tied to get a photo with my phone but he took off before I get the photo.

If you hit a bear don’t get out and ask him if he is ok.

I say nay and they don’t work for moose either…on either coast.