Deciding betweem twp

I work on computers/electronics for a living and see the cost of using buy here, pay here, types of places.

I get people who have a “$3000 computer” and want me to repair it. Usually a $3000 computer is a top of the line unit. Then I find out it from from a rent to own store… The “rent to own” places are terrible. They take a cheap computer that would sell for maybe $300 at Wal-Mart and mark it up 10x and offer a low weekly payment or whatever and people think it is a great buy.

I had a person bring a laptop in with a fried motherboard which cost $300 to replace. I told them a new crap computer from Wal-Mart would still be better than this one and that it would be dumb to have me put a new board in it. I even showed them a $300 computer on the website that was much better than what they had. They had spent $3000 on the computer so to them it was worth $300 to have it fixed. I went ahead and fixed it but was in total shock. There is a reason poor people are poor. Buying a cheapo like this is a bad idea anyway. Overpaying by 10x is an even worse idea.

We have also had some “Rent to own auto” places come and go in town. I never set foot at one of those but understand they actually had a way to remotely disable and track cars in case people didn’t pay. I bet a $500 beater cost $5000 there!

We recently got a JD Byrider in my town. Apparently this is a franchised chain of buy here, pay here, places. The words “WE FINANCE!” are as big as the name of the place on the building. I have seen some cars on the lot that I might like but figure they wouldn’t want to have someone come in with cash and just buy one off the lot. They make all their money on the financing.

I would go private party with cash if you can. Maybe spending several hundred dollars to limp the old car along a few months would be money well spent in this case. Normally I tell people to run it into the ground and then replace it but if this is a needed car and keeping it running might allow you to save money and buy a much better car with cash or mostly cash in a bit, then I would do it.

I am 73 years old and have owned way too many cars. Though the VW is a reasonably reliable vehicle I would go with the warnings and walk away from it. As for the Chrysler I would run, not walk away from it. The Sebring was a highly over rated car and in my opinion, not very reliable after a few miles. I would recommend a more substantial vehicle like a Buick, Toyota, or even an older Lexus. I think you would be much more satisfied through the years. Be sure and find a GOOD extended vehicle warrantee for whatever you decide on. Most cars are not manufactured to outlive their manufacturers warrantee these days and can be very expensive to maintain. I wish you the best in your decision and will say a prayer that you are lead in the right direction. RichW

I don’t have a problem with VWs. However, I’d have a major problem with a 2013 that has been whacked 3 times already.

That could possibly mean that the original driver was hell on wheels and the mechanicals may have been thrased also.

My suggestion is to keep looking. Use patience and you will find the right one.