Dealer responsibility for engine trouble

I scanned back through the original post. All I noticed was a check engine light for timing codes and an oil sludged engine. I did see “timing belt noise” referred to. Whatever that is.

Timing Chain noise usually means the tensioners are worn out or are sticking due to sludge or thick oil. Fresh oil will flush them out for awhile but if the OP doesn’t change his ways, they will just sludge up again.

That is indeed a mystery, considering that the OP’s engine uses a timing chain.

+1

Can’t always trust what the dealer says. Had a Mazda GLC that developed a growl from the rear end. I personally checked the differential oil, full and clean, and the U joint, seemed OK. Took the car to the dealer. Service manager tells me the differential oil was low, dirty, and loaded with metal particles. Needed a new differential as Mazda had no differential parts available. I asked if the mechanic could come to the service desk. The mechanic said nothing wrong with oil, the main bearing is damaged but not available as a part. I asked what caused that. He said that 4 months before, I had the car there for a catalytic converter cover recall and that when the lift was lowered it came down on something that bent the driveshaft. They replaced the bent driveshaft but the rear bearing must have got overstressed. The office manager said that their service warranty was only three months but as a concession they would put in the new $600 differential for $300.

1 Like

I have a 2015 Legacy 2.5 and oil changes are 6K and uses synthetic. Sounds like he was negligent there if going over but, sounds like other mechanic issues as well.