Dealer fees

Some folks have been lucky…

But some have not and here are some of the other extras that Dealerships add on, wheel locks, nitrogen filled tires, anti-theft alarm system, door guard, door edge protectors, exhaust tips, anti-fog glass treatment, glass tinting, and separate policies for Key Protection, Tire, Wheel, and Dent Protection Policies.

If you have been fortunate enough to not have these pitched by a car salesperson, you have been lucky. I served in the Air Force for over 30-years and I’ve been stationed in 17 different locations and trust me, if there is anything that can attract shady dealerships, it’s a military base.

Not that I’ve had all of these thrown at me, but I’ve seen them thrown at the my personnel and there is nothing so disheartening than to have a young person, away from home for the first time and buying their first car and have the salespersons try to get them to pay a disposal fee on the old tires the dealership took off the car and replaced with new ones.

2 Likes

Maybe it is bad advice. But it was time to go–they kept providing bad offers,

The real drama was the attempted extraction from my wallet of $6000 in dealer ad-ons. Later, I just had to walk away and the sales person followed with a new final offer w/o the add-ons. (I did pay $40 for an unneeded state inspection.)

Reuters reported that the manufacturing rebound has begun fueled by auto manufacturing as chips are being delivered.

Of course prices won’t immediately change, the pipelines, backlog and pentup demand need to be filled but for those unlucky enough to be buying now I suggest learning how to hold your breath because you’re going to be “seriously underwater”

1 Like

No, for the past 25+ years, it’s ALWAYS been applied at the factory.
Of course, the dealership is always happy to charge customers for things that they don’t need.

Depends on where you live. I lived back where I grew up in central NY, I’d get something like Ziebart. The rust belt still sees a lot of vehicles rust through holes that are only 5 years old. Too much snow which means 2 much salt. Same vehicles here in New England don’t seem to have that problem.

They don’t use salt to keep New England roads free of ice in winter storms?

Well maybe they are smart fellers but if you noticed several of the larger banks and economists are warning that we are heading into a recession. The warning flags are there. If that happens, there will be an excess of cars on the lots instead of a shortage regardless of the chip supply. If you remember the last long recession kinda like long covid.

And THAT’S when you buy a new car! If you’re fortunate enough to be able to choose the timing. That’s what I’m waiting for, anyway.

Record prices for gasoline and at the same time record prices and dealer markups on relatively inefficient trucks and large SUV’s. Weird.

$49000 for a Corolla? I would consider a lot of alternatives. Could you get by with a bicycle or motorcycle and Uber? How many miles do you drive a year.

It might be fun to find a rust free older car you would have liked to own but didn’t. * personally don’t need any of the features that most people seem to think they do. Aside from the pitiful top speed, a model A would do me fine and something like any mid 60s Chrysler product had more top speed than I need.Even a Valiant with the smallest 6 would do about 95…
Do you live in a city? Is public transportation. Is there housing near where you work? Move.

Can you work from home?

Given the craziness for far away from work homes, as telecommute is now an option I am ready to move to the city if the price is reasonable.

@old_mopar_guy Interestingly I learned last winter when I was debating whether to take an interstate or state roads home during cruddy weather, I was told that Vermont has state limits on the amount of salt that can be applied to roads, whereas New Hampshire is not as stringent. I believe it’s based on environmental considerations.

I’m guessing that they are controlling the amount of salt usage by using brine on the roads, rather than granular salt.
In my area, the state and county highways have all been converted to brining, but most municipalities are still using rock salt. In addition to the likelihood that less salt is kicked-up onto the roadside, brining can be done hours before a storm, and as a result it is more efficient–as well as less damaging to the environment.

1 Like

Applying brine gives road crews many hours head start on a storm. The snow takes longer to stick to the road and not as much gets tossed up under the car

1 Like

When I first heard they use beets to make the brine I thought glad I don’t have a white car :wink:

… or molasses, or cheese, or beer, or pickles, or…

1 Like

Of course they do…but since here in New England we see less then 1/3rd the amount of snow areas in Central NY gets it equates to significantly less salt use.

Like I said before, we drove through Missouri when the roads were treated. I couldn’t figure out what that stuff sticking to the car was. Went through a normal car wash and it still didn’t all come off. Had to wash it a second time using the soapy brush. Then find out they use beet juice or something. It was at night so no idea what color it was.

Yeah, record prices for gas and then you buy a car and pay top dollar for one that drinks it like water. And long term your buying IC technology that’s on it’s way out.

I truely feel for the folks who actually need a vehicle right now but for most of these purchases it’s like some people must have too much money and it’s burning a hole in their pocket.

Ya, the market has me in a tough spot. We recently relocated, my new job is 44 miles one-way from where I live. I’m driving essentially 100 miles a day getting 16mpg. (My previous job/house was a 6 mile drive, so it really didn’t matter what I was driving.)

I obviously need a commuter car, but at the prices I would pay there’s no financial incentive to upgrade to a more economical car, even with gas near $5/gallon. I think I’m going to stick it out for a few more months and see what the market looks like then.

Meh. The era of the gasoline engine will outlive any new car you buy today. Unless you’re @RandomTroll or @George_San_Jose1, who enjoy driving 35 year old Toyotas! :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: No offense meant to either of you!!!

4 Likes

There are several reasons that salt and even sodium chloride is being limited to de-ice roads. As we all know, the Northeast is having terrible infrastructure issues. For many, many years, salt was dumped on the roads in these areas to make winter driving safer. Over the decades, the salt has had a devastating effect on roads and bridges. In addition, the money just isn’t there to replace the infrastructures that have now become unsafe. Oh, they knew it was happening and they were just as concerned as a “smoker” who knows that cigarettes causes cancer but continues to smoke…

Along with the need to replace, not just repair the roads and bridges, they are recognizing the shocking fact that Chloride, not sodium, is the primary pollutant in streams and lakes.

They are begrudgingly trying to reduce, even eliminate the use of salt and sodium chloride on roads, but those actions have big Salt and its lobbyists preparing for war…