Daughter runs over branch in storm, busts radiator and condenser, Should I call insurance co?

My son hit some sort of tool left in the road by the highway department. Whatever he hit that was left in the road punctured both the engine oil pan and the transmission oil pan. The car had both collision and comprehensive. The comprehensive had zero deductible, but the collision was $500 deductible. The insurance company said that the damage was covered only under collision, not comprehensive. The bill came to about $520, so my son didn’t file a claim for $20. I thought comprehensive should have covered the damage, but apparently the insurance company had a different opinion. When he called the police to come and investigate, the tool left by the highway department mysteriously disappeared.

For $600, I’d just pay it out of pocket. I would only consider making a claim if the damage was significantly more expensive to repair. I wouldn’t want to give the insurance company any ammunition to use in case one day you have a much bigger claim to make and they decide to drop you.

My bad, I was thinking Liability coverage. It all seems very confusing to me why there are 4 or more differing “auto insurances” you could have in one policy. Most people think they get car insurance. I expect it’s by design so someone can screw the customer more effectively.