Danish Car Rental Gone Bad

No, but we had a very good laugh on Californias behalf. The only thing discussed was, that maybe we should eat a little less meat. That probably came up with this issue to tell us that our weight is growing. I still enjoy a good steak :yum:

Actually when you rent the car, just like when you rent a hotel room, they tack on a hold amount to be used in case of damage. Unlikely they would have held back enough for a clutch. Thatā€™s why you donā€™t use a debit card unless it has a good balance because you can end up having it all eaten up with the held amounts. So yeah doesnā€™t matter I guess if the card was canceled but Iā€™d rather deal with the CC company than a collection agency where you have no protection at all. At least a CC company canā€™t ding your credit if the item is in protest. A credit rating still is important even if you donā€™t use credit and trying to get a ding removed is a hassle. What Iā€™m told anyway. I have no first hand knowledge. The one time I contested an item, I lost because the folks at Visa had no idea about transmission repairs and the vendor lied through his teeth.

Is there someway to bypass Hertz and go to Nissan where at least the folks might be able to recognize an oil leak?

This thread is probably the reason why you nearly never see car rental companies rent out manuals instead of automatics. The only time I remember renting a car to learn how to drive a stick shift is from ā€œrent-a-wreckā€ and even they discontinued that practice where I lived at the time.

Some years ago my wife was taking a trip to Norway with her sisters and needed to drive a stick rental there. We went down to the GM dealer to rent a manual for practice. They only had one little car on the lot with a manual that they let us use. Thank heavens for the vacant Kmart lot for practice without endangering the public. Iā€™m worried now that we may have damaged the clutch but I donā€™t think so.

With so little difference between the fuel mileage manual verses automatic why would rental companies want to have someone with little or no experience in a manual anyway.

Europeans drive sticks. Denmark is in Europe. Why wouldnā€™t a rental car company in Europe provide stick shift cars? I think you can order an automatic if you need one though.

BTW, if you do rent a car in Europe, there is a little trigger or T handle on the stick that you have to pull up on in order to get the car out of the parking space.