Cylinder sleeving

I just had my 1998 Honda CRV Japanese version overhauled in Nicaragua and in the process they re-sleeved the cylinders to use standard sized pistons and rings. I have since heard that this is a no-no in aluminum engine blocks and am wondering how long I can expect the engine to last this way, and what, if any, my options are (besides selling). The engine seems to be running great for the moment.

I have to disagree with this. The worry was that due to different expansion rates of the steel and aluminum the steel sleeve could drop.

My Vega was the first engine that I steel sleeved. Worked GREAT. Everything I read at the time…they had perfected the process and there were no sleeve drops. I suspect that after 30 years they’ve refined the process even more.

Actually, there was a big problem with the '01 and '02 Chevrolet Trailblazers where the factory sleeves were sliding down in the bores. The problem was corrected shortly afterward.

But you’re right, done correctly, it should be no problem.

Actually, there was a big problem with the '01 and '02 Chevrolet Trailblazers where the factory sleeves were sliding down in the bores. The problem was corrected shortly afterward.

I remember that. Something like a 10-20% failure rate on those engines. Looks like they fixed the problem.