CVT transmissions - how do they drive and your opinion on them

insightful: perhaps my problem is not as I thought. I’ll check at the dealer again.

I’d rather have a Camry ride, versus firm handling and possibly a stiff ride :smiley:

Staying to the points in your question, we’ve had an Escape hybrid with a CVT for 11+ years and here are our thoughts.

1.) Our CVT is definitely NOT a constant rpm tranny. When we hit the gas, the engine loudly screams like it’s being over-revved, and the gearbox feels like it is slipping. When we come to a hill, the same thing happens. Because RPM’s fluctuate independently of your gas pedal pressure, it feels like you have no control (which is why CVT’s are so boring). We’ve never gotten used to this after more than a decade.
2.) We’ve heard $8000+ for a new tranny, and repairing them is pretty impossible.
3.) It may be a moot point. Many manufacturers confine manual gearboxes to stripped-down models and regular automatics to higher-power engines (we’ve also heard CVT’s are not able to handle high-power or high-stress applications), and CVT’s do better on federal test cycles (but not necessarily in the real world).

So – love the mileage, hate the miles.

CVT stands for Continuously Variable Transmission, not constant velocity transmission as some people seem to believe. It is supposed to find the ideal ratio to match the engine to the load.

I have a 2014 Subaru Legacy and I feel that the CVT tends to use a higher RPM than necessary. The 2015 Subaru’s were changed to use lower RPMs but also use discreet ratios to mimic a geared transmission.

My brother in law bought a 2015 Honda Accord with a CVT. He can select between normal and economy, the economy uses lower RPMs. I think Subaru should consider this as the way to go.

Maybe folks misunderstand…I like my CVT Prius, runs well. Minimal problems, just me and my HABIT of lifting off accelerator on up hills to “allow” shift into lower gear, which is unnecessaty with CVT.

I also drive a 2005 Subaru Forester, with regular Auto Trans, soiI have to “remember” which vehicle I am driving. Subaru great vehicle, very reliable, BTW.

Almost no call to ever use cruise control on roads in Maine, except on Turnpike. Too many changes of road condition/traffic conditions for Cruise.