Custom driver's seat

Please help. I have a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee and the driver’s seat is too high. I can only see out of about half of the windshield (I kid you not). Does anyone know where I can get a CUSTOM DRIVER’S SEAT that would be lower? Thank you.

I’d look for a power seat for your Jeep from the junk yard/‘auto recycler’.

Winnie, can you give us some back story? How did you end up with a vehicle that doesn’t fit you?

It isn’t necessary in order for us to give you good answers, but inquiring minds want to know!

Also, I want to make sure I really understand the problem. Are you really sitting so high you can’t see out the window? I am not sure I understand how this works. My Honda Civic is not made for tall people either, so the rear view mirror is right in the middle of my line of sight. When I want to see behind it, I lower my head for a moment or lean to the side.

If you look in the Yellowpages under “automotive - custom” you should be able to find a vendor who can help you with this problem. A body shop might also have some good insight.

Thanks for the thoughts. The back story is that I am an idiot. I had a 95 Grand Cherokee for 10 years, drove it into the ground and loved it the entire time. When it was time to retire that SUV, I bought the new one and did not really pay attention. The seat is too high (many people complain about it). I have the seat lowered all the way down but I also have to recline the back significantly to see out of the windshield. Even with all those adjustments I have to slouch and peer forward to see the traffic light when I am parked at an intersection and all this scrunching up is starting to take a toll on my back. (The car is really badly designed, I am only 5’8").

I don’t know a lot about cars. Can you install ANY driver’s seat in any SUV? Can I just find a lower seat and have it installed?

Thank you.

Unfortunately, seats are not very interchangeable, certainly not across brands. Do you have the electric seat already?

After looking at the various generations of this vehicle on Wikipedia, I think I understand. The windshield is actually pretty narrow compared to the side windows, and the roof slopes down a little towards the front.

If this vehicle has side air bags or other safety equipment that is integrated into the seat, replacing it may be a problem.

Since you bought this vehicle used, you might consider selling it on craigslist.org or by placing a “for sale” sign in the window. If you trade it in, you will lose a lot of money.

Many off road type vehicles are designed with narrow windows for a variety of reasons. It’s not you, it’s the car. My 4Runner is similar. Any adjustment you make will compromise your seating in other ways. Car based SUVs generally have taller windows as they are not designed to roll over quite as often. BTW, 5’8" may not seem tall, but if your trunk length to inseam ratio is different than average, you may sit taller. You’re not a match for the car. IMO you’ll have to get use to it or trade.