Cubic Inch Displacement question

Chevy engine. 5.3 Litres. What is the cubic inch displacement equivalent?

1 liter = 61 cubic inch

5.3 liter = 323.4 cubic inch

1 Litre equals 61 cubic inches. Therefore, 5.3L times 61 equals…?

Thanks, everybody. Much appreciated.

324 cubic inches (rounded up).

A little known feature of google:

In the search field, you can enter a conversion you want to do and it will give you the answer when you “search”.

For example “5.3 liters in cubic inches” will return “5.3 liters = 323.425844 cubic inches”

or “30 miles per gallon in rods per hogshead” will return “30 miles per gallon = 604 800 rods per hogshead”.

Wish they had that when I took my Physics classes…or Chemistry Classes…Oh hell I wish they had the Internet or a PC for that matter.

But we had IBM punch cards and four function calculators that cost about $100…

I have very fond memories of those punch cards…

I learned computers in college on 80-column IBM cards. We used to sign up for time on the keypunch machines. I went to high school in the late '60s and we didn’t even have hand calculators! That old black original calculator came out in 1972!

Yup, in my first job (with a big engineering company) in 1980 we still used those cards to build input data decks. They had a whole room full of computer geeks running mainframes that were about as powerful as my kids’ handheld video games. Makes you wonder what it will be like in another 20-30 years.

And punch cards live on. A standard ASCII monitor is 80 characters wide as were the first series of character printers, equalling 1 record as represented by a punch card. The industry never saw any reason to change it.

The punch card discussion is reminding me of Stan Rogers’ performance of “The White Collar Hollar” I assumed he wrote it, but I see that he did not.

sung in the style of a sea shanty

http://www.tsrocks.com/s/stan_rogers_texts/the_white_collar_holler.html

Go to this website for even older technology.

http://www.antiquark.com/sliderule/sim/virtual-slide-rule.html

How I almost got kicked out of college…

Our Fortran class had it’s lab right before the Cobol class. The card reader reads cards from the input stack then fills up the output stack one…then stack two then stack 3.

Just as our lab finished…I loaded my program…Which rewrote the the card reader processing…From now on…as the cards got read in…the first card when in stack one…the second in stack two…the third in stack 3…then the forth back to stack 1…this continued for the rest of the deck. And those Cobol programmers had HUGH card stacks.

Needless to say they were NOT pleased. The only thing that saved me was that I wrote another program to put the cards back together in the correct order…AND the fact that my prof was laughing his head of when he heard about it.