CR's 2015 Frequency of Repair chart

…is interesting, I think. Personally, I am amazed at how highly Audi is currently placed in those stats.

It’s also interesting to note, that Audi’s “range” is far broader than Honda or Toyota, for example

Poor Ford - from what I understand much of their problems are with the infotainment systems, along with the dual-clutch trannys.

Not good that all 5 Fiat brands are in the bottom 7 (Fiat/Chrysler/Dodge/Ram/Jeep).

apparently this is how the match works out

Italian + mopar = lousy reliability

Does the chart represent reliability from all cars reported to CR during 2015? If so, is there an age cutoff? If not, how did they arrive at the reliability values?

Audi, Porsche, and VW all rated highly. At least they are doing something right, unlike the Detroit 3. They all have a long way to go. It also seems unusual that Acura would be so much lower than Honda.

@jtsanders

“Audi, Porsche, and VW all rated highly.”

But I still wouldn’t buy one :naughty:

“It also seems unusual that Acura would be so much lower than Honda.”

Perhaps the Acura luxury/sporty features are less reliable than Honda. I’m thinking audio equipment, air suspension, etc. Even though Acura is made by Honda, some of the equipment on the Acura is undoubtedly different, versus Honda

On the other hand, Lexus is at the top . . . :sweat_smile:

The big problem with this list is it does not differentiate between a minor software glitch that is fixed with a software update, and a major power train problem.

“Does the chart represent reliability from all cars reported to CR during 2015? If so, is there an age cutoff?”

I have to say that I don’t know. The chart was forwarded to me by a friend, with no explanation.

“The big problem with this list is it does not differentiate between a minor software glitch that is fixed with a software update that effect a high percent of a manufactures cars, and a major power train problem.”

…and that is what seems to be driving Ford’s poor showing in these studies over the past few years. While a huge percentage of Ford owners seem to hate the functionality of their touch-screen systems (and to require some sort of fix for those systems), not that many Ford owners seem to have experienced actual mechanical problems. I would like to see a differentiation between major mechanical issues and software issues that can be resolved with a downloaded patch.

The thing is too small and fuzzy for me to read. Is there some trick>>>???

Click on it.

I don’t know the trick but I clicked on the small chart ans it stayed the same for a while, then blossomed to full screen.

I did notice that while Ford had some cars with lots of problems, their mean reliability was not bad.

I think that Nissans problems stem from the fact that at least one of their cars is a rebadged Renault. French reliability here being right up there with Italian.

The poor showing of Acura and Infinity is puzzling as is the abysmal ranking of Cadillac, esp. given the high ranking of Buick.

The saddest thing for me is that Chrysler Corporation, whose cars represent more than 80% of the cars I have owned have free fallen to the bottom of the rankings having been infected with Fiat reliability.

I guess there is a reason that my only car now is a Toyota.

It gives a range and Ford is all over the range. So I guess some of their cars are great and some are not.

I am also curious over the data related to the volume of sale. As a previous Mazda owner, I could tell you they don’t sell many cars, definitely not as much as Toyota and this could affect the data.

The low volume sometimes hides issues. As I know there would be common engine problems known to occur in Ford Edge that was not that “common” with the Mazda CX-9, even though they both had the same engine. The Problem did happen in Mazda, but it would not really get out there due to the low volume.

There’s a summary that goes along w/this chart explaining why certain makes got down-rated on the CR website. As I recall the Acura downgrade is related to problematic automatic transmissions.

A squeaky trim piece, or software update to fix a SNAFU is not at the same level as mechanical problem that requires a major engine or transmission repair that could cost major $$$$$ after warranty. Granted we all want perfection, and strive for it, but IMHO CR should concentrate more on out of pocket $$$$ expense after the warranty expires. AKA long term ownership cost more then minor warranty repairs, and software SNAFU.

That’s where looking at the detail reports comes in. It shows major vs minor stuff.

CR ha s another chart that shows reliability (problems per 100 cars) by AGE. This chart shows that Toyota and Honda cars age the best, and VW shows a very rapid drop off in reliability. By year 10, VWs have over twice the problem rate than Toyotas. Chrysler fares equally bad.

It’s true that within the warranty period, Audis make a respectable showing.

I disagree that Fiat has degraded Chrysler reliability. Fiat hasn’t owned Crysler very long, and Chrysler products poor reliability has been known for a long time. It wouldn’t surprise me that Mercedes Benz wanted to sell Chrysler in part because their reliability was so poor.

When Chrysler and Fiat joined up, an automotive writer stated: “They deserve each other”. Fiat’s unreliability comes from fragile design (Fix It Again Tony), while Chrysler’s comes from sloppy engineering and poor quality control. Mercedes corporate culture was completely out of step with that of Chrysler. MB was attracted by Chrysler’s rapid product innovation and an “easy” way into the North American popular priced car market. But the top levels had trouble even communicating in car language.

If Toyota had taken over Chrysler they would have established a common culture first, and then applied the Toyota quality system to the products and manufacturing. The most difficult part would have been to persuade the unions that all this was in their best interest.

In retrospect, MB’s quality and reliability left a great deal to be desired as well.

On the other hand MB’s takeover of Freightliner trucks was relatively painless and they were smart enough not to change the name. Truckers are traditional and superstitious.

I suppose that Toyota could have learned to live productively with the UAW, but they currently don’t have to. Is the CAW in Toyota facilities in Canada? It appears that there is an auto workers union in Japanese Toyota plants.

I think the difference needs to be made between out of pocket expenses and inconvenience. For example, I have had little out of pocket expenses on my 2011 Toyota Sienna with 70,000 miles. However, I received a recall notice that the spare tire carrier may rust and drop the spare tire on the road creating a hazard. The first recall removed the tire from under the vehicle and put the tire behind the third seat. This was a,real inconvenience as I need the space for musical instruments when my musical friends and I are on the way to gig. I needed to remove the tire. However, when we would take a road trip, I want to have aa spare tire. I was always removing and replacing the spare tire. Fortunately, Toyota redesigned the carrier and made it available this week, and the dealer completed the recall. Now, I was glad to have no out of the pocket expenses, but I downgraded my opinion on the CR survey because of this spare tire problem.