'Crash test dummies are all male, and women are paying the price'

The load limiter or force limiting seatbelt does not release the occupant to strike the dash and windshield, it allows a limited amount of release. The pre-tensioner retracts the seatbelt 3", the force limiting belt releases 3", it’s a wash.

Maybe in a Volvo. Kia Rio? No. Do you believe it’s possible that car makers have designed cars for crash tests and done little to design for other types of crashes?

So what if they don’t know what a Locking Torque Converter is ? Big deal !

1 Like

I think it would be absurd to find someone laying on the road wearing a broken seatbelt. If seatbelts were allowed to disconnect for heavy people, killing them, this would make headlines.

5 Likes

The direction of this conversation is reminding me of a guy who used to be in my old car club. He was one of those “we didn’t land on the moon, and airplanes are dispensing mind control chemicals” conspiracy nutjobs.

I remember once at a club camping trip my wife made the mistake of engaging him in debate (“never argue with a stupid person - they’ll drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience”) and at one point he came out with the argument “well do any conspiracies exist? Because if any conspiracies exist, all of them do.”

In general, if you find yourself at a party or on an internet forum busily insisting that you have special secret knowledge of a vast underground conspiracy that’s killing people, and somehow you have glommed onto that information where no one else has, you should probably get professionally evaluated.

4 Likes

Not completely, I don’t have access to all of the data (I’m not a doctor/PA/NP so I can’t browse charts at will without consequence). From what I’ve observed and directly been involved with (I’ve been working here 9.5 years now) we lose Trauma Alert patients at a far lower rate than we used to. Sure we still lose some (keep in mind Trauma Alert is activated for much more than just MVA, also GSW, Ped vs Auto, Stabbings, etc), but far fewer than we used to. I don’t know that we see a huge difference in survivability based on age (keep in mind that is going to be skewed by the fact that younger people are generally in better shape and can bounce back from injury easier, plus they typically aren’t on blood thinning medication too), but I also don’t know how many patients are DOA called by paramedics and don’t make it to us. In regards to age, we recently had a physician (older probably 50s) get rear ended on a major highway by a tractor trailer with major intrusion into his car (had to be cut out). His wife survived with minor bumps and bruises and major league soreness, but no broken bones. He survived with a broken leg, sprained shoulder (and of course bumps, bruises, and soreness). They were driving 2019 or 2020 Lexus RX 450h.

My dad (in his 50s) was waiting to turn in their 2018 or 19 RAV4 Hybrid and was rear ended by an SUV (don’t remember the model) and pushed into oncoming traffic where he was hit in the front too. No airbag deployment, car was totaled, but no injuries for my dad or any of the other motorists.

My wife years before I met her was in a really bad accident where she was rear-ended, knocked into oncoming traffic, and hit 2 or 3 more times (I forget exactly). She was driving an early 2000s era VW Bug. She came to my hospital (didn’t work there at the time) and didn’t need admitted. Hairline collar bone fracture, possible neck and mid spine fractures (thankfully no issues today), was stuck in a neck brace for a few months (the possible spinal fractures were later determined to be old healed fractures from when she slipped on concrete steps and fell a few years prior). Honestly, had she had that accident in any of our newer vehicles we have had since then (09 Focus, 12 Escape, 09 Camry, 05 Odyssey) I think she would have come through better. That said, it was better than if she would’ve been in my old 94 Saturn Sedan. She wouldn’t have walked away from that one (as much as I loved that old car).

Can you elaborate on “Women paying the price” so I know exactly what I’m responding to?

2 Likes

There was a cartoon in The New Yorker a few months ago that said it all.
Picture a guy sitting in front of his computer, and he calls out to his wife…

Honey, look at this! I found medical information on Facebook that every doctor and research scientist missed!
:crazy_face:

8 Likes

And I suspect there are a good number of female engineers working for the automotive industry.

3 Likes

I’ll just ignore the straw man lie in the first part of your response. In certain model years of the Honda CR-V faulty rear seat belts get cut off by a sharp piece of metal on the seat in a high speed accident. That one never made the news. Now I can’t seem to find the article about it. The story goes that there was a crash and the two passengers seated in the rear died and the two in the front survived. A police officer thought it was strange and looked in to it and found that the seat belts in the rear had been severed. Now all the Honda CR-V search engine results have been poisoned by some class action lawsuit about seat belt latches.

Oh come on. Everyone knows that the safest place to be in an accident is “ejected from the vehicle”. That’s why modern seat belts are designed to disconnect in an accident, you know, to protect heavier occupants from the forces exerted by the belt on their body. Even though this would appear on its face to reduce safety for everyone, it’s actually well-developed science. (And if you believe that, I have a bridge for sale…)

2 Likes

Yes, there are actually people who believe in that nonsense. I once worked with one of them, and after he expounded on those bizarre beliefs, I said that his theory might work if the roadsides were completely covered with Tempurpedic mattresses.

1 Like

There certainly are. In a higher percentage than in the general engineering industry. Still less than half. You can’t hire what isn’t in the workforce.

1 Like

Thanks. I didn’t know that. I had assumed that the Washington Post had taken some responsibility for verifying the accuracy of even their opinion pieces. Susan Molinari is the former Congressperson who resigned to take a job in TV news, which gave me a low opinion of her seriousness.

I think all crash testing is wasteful and dumb. We should just study the plentiful wrecks provided by our breathtaking ineptitude.
Deliberately smashing up a nice new car is insane.

1 Like

Using cars that are a couple of years old would be fine too. They could do small overlap on the passenger side and then do the side impact test on the driver side on the same car. Multiple collisions do happen in the real world. Then finish it off with a rear end impact which is currently not tested on any vehicle.

Good grief…

2 Likes

They tested those cars back when they were new so why test again. The idea behind the testing is to see how a new car keeps passengers safe. Then publish that data to inform the public and hopefully help the manufacturer make changes to improve safety.

3 Likes

You have to stop being logical. There’s no place for logic in this discussion.
:wink:

2 Likes

The majority of car sales are used cars. When a new crash test is introduced, they should test older cars too. Finding a cheap 5 year old vehicle that has been rear ended is really easy. They could use this in the side impact test. It would save so much money compared to ruining a $40,000 vehicle. The recently introduced higher speed IIHS side impact test has only tested brand new vehicles so far.

1 Like

You can’t understand the reason to test new vehicles ? You really live in a strange world .

1 Like