Crank the wheel before or after the car starts moving?

I’ve always been of the opinion that the tiny extra wear on tires or steering is going to cost me much less than any potential impact with another vehicle, whether my own fault or because I’m not fully into a space (well, that’d also be my own fault I suppose). Sure, you can do an extra 2 or 3 turns into a spot but seriously, this shouldn’t be what people worry about. The only time I can see a concern is in cases such as B.L.E. mentions where it’s really a recently poured driveway or something. Then, yes, be careful but not because of the car!

I’m also shocked with how seriously some people take this “you’ll damage the tire” thing. I’ve seen friends literally freak out thinking I’m going to rip a hole in my tire because I turn it while not rolling. Wow, just WOW. In reality it probably doesn’t make much difference overall either way. I’m just surprised by how polarizing the issue can be with some folks.

There is much, much less stress on steering, suspension, and power steering parts if you have some semblance of motion while turning the steering wheel. This semblance of motion doesn’t have to amount to much, as CSA said, to make a big difference. Anyone who has driven a manual steering vehicle (even a riding mower) can attest to that. As far as a right way and a wrong way, I think the right way is to gain driving skills and then to do whatever you need to do. A skilled driver will have a natural tendency to NOT steer while the vehicle is stopped unless absolutely necessary. The closest I normally come to steering with the vehicle stopped is when I am trying to maneuver out of the parking lot at work after the inevitable half dozen or so people have arrived late and decided to invent their own parking spaces, leaving me with very little room to get out of my legitimate parking space. Even during this maneuvering, I probably still have the vehicle rolling at 1-2 inches per second 80% of the time, which, as CSA noted, is enough to make a big difference.

Sure Mark, it’s best to do so if possible. That said, it’s not going to in any way exceed the design limits of the systems. They design them to handle these things. OK, you may delay potential service by NOT turning the wheels with the car stopped but by a tiny margin. Worst case you replace your tires what, a month sooner? It just isn’t as huge of an issue as people make it out to be.

Discounting instances with city dwellers who must parallel park in the tightest of spaces, I have always thought there is a correlation between those who feel they must start turning the wheel before they move (especially in reverse) and those who don’t know how to use their rear view mirrors when backing up.

While it is absolutely true that there are times when one must turn the wheel while stationary, I’m actually quite afraid thinking that the world is full of people who can’t steer a car in the process of parking it. And I’ve done plenty of very tight city parallel parking and other such things, so there is no unfamiliarity on my part.

I’m thinking that those are the same people who creep down highway entrance ramps at 20-30mph waiting for an opening in the 70mph traffic. I’m always hoping they aren’t also chewing gum.

@dagosa Heh, in general you may be correct but I’m in the category of turn before moving when needed as well as the category of being able to drive in reverse just as well as I can drive forwards. And, uh, I’m pretty good at both before you ask … ha!

Edit: Forgot to say I regularly parallel park a full size long bed truck downtown Seattle. I need no more than 6 inches clearance to get it into a space in one shot.

I will say I find the lack of reverse driving ability a bit scary. My ex-wife’s aunt literally refuses to ever drive her car in reverse. She once made her husband drive 20 miles to back her car out of a spot that she thought she could pull through and found out she couldn’t. Now, I suppose that’s better than being unable to go in reverse properly and trying anyhow but still … wow!

" We want to teach our 16 year old to do it right, but obviously one of us is wrong… "

Right way - " . . . start moving a little first to avoid excessive strain on the steering & tires. " [I would say simultaneously, rather than first, but this is basically corrct.]

Wrong way - " . . . cranking the wheel at a dead stop when trying to make sharp adjustments to park, . . . "

:wink:
CSA

It’s not a “right way” vs “wrong way”. As Nilt noted, the system is designed to handle turning the wheel when stopped.

Sure there is less stress on the components when the wheel is turning a little, but this one falls into the “personal preference” category.

Nilt: Edit: Forgot to say I regularly parallel park a full size long bed truck downtown Seattle. I need no more than 6 inches clearance to get it into a space in one shot.

I would guess you are real comfortable using your mirrors. I see it so many times with people who aren’t, getting themselves in a situation they think they must turn first. Reason; they can’t see the sides and back at the same time that only well adjusted mirrors give you.

We have had this discussion before on mirrors, but I am consistent with my family members that using and trusting your mirrors properly in backing up and driving forward is safer and negates habits like turning while stopped. There are times when plowing and ditching etc. when I feel forced to do it, but it’s the exception. Then only when that one inch of movement can sometimes cause the plow to scrape a parked car or my tractor to fall into a ditch.

But,“JoeMario” has a point that cars can “take it”. I disagree that it in general it is acceptable driving technique and feel the same as CSA. This issue is not polarizing to me; I think components sustain more wear on rough roads but it indicates some people can’t handle their car properly. It’s that simple and why I relate it to using mirrors properly.

Corrected To Reflect View That There Is Not A Right And Wrong Way:
" We want to teach our 16 year old to do it right, but obviously one of us is wrong… "

Right way (less stress) - " . . . start moving a little first to avoid excessive strain on the steering & tires. " [I would say simultaneously, rather than first, but this is basically corrct.]

Not so right way (personal preference to cause more stress) - " . . . cranking the wheel at a dead stop when trying to make sharp adjustments to park, . . . "

:wink:
CSA

Dagosa, yes I am quite comfortable using my mirrors. They’re as critical to proper driving skills as knowing how to use the steering wheel, in my opinion. :wink:

Nilt and dagosa bring up a good point with the references to mirror use. When I was in trucking school, we practiced backing maneuvers for 10 weeks(!) with tractor-trailers on a practice range. The improvement in my backing ability is amazing, and a lot of it comes from learning to use mirrors, especially the side ones. Since learning how to properly back a vehicle, I find that I almost never have to turn the wheels while not moving.