Cracked Block

I have a 2006 Subaru Outback with 110000 miles. I noticed some oil on top of the engine on the passenger side. I brought the car in to get checked out and they tell me it has a cracked block. They estimate approximately $5000 for a new engine or $2500 for a used engine. I would think it may be a oil seal that needs to be replaced. What is your take?

My xray eyes are failing…seriously, you need to get a second opinion, who checked it the first time?

I appreciate your fast response. Actually it is my son’s car, and I can’t see how the head could be cracked! He brought the vehicle to a Subaru dealer in Waltham, MA. I would think some kind of an oil seal. What is your opinion of what the problem might be. Thanks again for your time and knowledge given.

I appreciate your fast response. Actually it is my son’s car, and I can’t see how the head could be cracked! He brought the vehicle to a Subaru dealer in Waltham, MA. I would think some kind of an oil seal. What is your opinion of what the problem might be. Thanks again for your time and knowledge given.

Clean, Clean, Clean.
To ultimately diagnose a leak…clean every thing.
Engine degreaser, Dawn dish soap.
Then, as the leak begins anew, you can see it.

Problem is, none of us can probably tell without actually looking at the car and the issue. Find an independent mechanic who knows Subarus and get him to inspect it. Don’t talk to previous diagnosis, only that to the oil leak and location.

Use mechanics files on the Car Talk home page for recommendations.

Okay, which is it? Cracked head or cracked block?
Subaru’s seem to have a lot of head and head gasket problems.

The odds of it being a cracked block or cylinder head are just about zero. About the only thing that would ever cause a crack would be an extended spell of very severe overheating and even that is a real stretch.

I’d get another opinion, or two, on it without telling anyone else what you were told by the first place.
A cracked block diagnosis, along with a cracked head, is one that is tossed around far too carelessly.

Maybe it’s an oil leak due to a head gasket or valve cover gasket, etc. In the event it’s a head gasket one can have the head bolts retorqued to see if that will stop the leak. This does not mean an automatic, and expensive, head gasket replacement.