Couple of engine issues with pics

2006 Holden Commodore V6 VE 4d sedan

• edit - Argh seems new users can only post one image. If a mod could kindly help it’d be appreciated :slight_smile: If i could add more pictures it would help identify what im looking at easier. Promise I won’t put anything up that isn’t to do with a car.

A week ago I went to change the spark plugs, in the process I broke a pcv tube. Patched this up. An hour later the check engine light came on. No engine issues, apart from bad fuel economy and a slight ticking sound.

Upon a second inspection today, it seems when I lifted the intake manifold the first time I broke the gasket. Might be old as hell, half was stuck on the top side and the other half was stuck on the bottom side?

My questions; This is the intake manifold gasket right? I don’t have a PC so my only way of researching is with browsing with a cheap mobile, takes a long time.

As for the second set of pictures, can anyone identify what this is for? I don’t recall removing a tube from it, can’t see another inlet it would connect to, and there aren’t tubes lying around that are unfixed.

First set (removed a few, can only post one)

Second set;
(removed, added one in a reply below)

Lastly, and sorry for a long post, but I broke a bolt that pins down the intake manifold. On my car there are 6. I tightened one a bit too hard and it snapped off just where the spiral starts. Hard to get out?

I assume you had to remove the PCV valve in order to get to the spark plugs? Looks like the intake manifold gasket. Is it closer to the windshield or the front bumper?

Oh here is this mystery valve. No air goes in or out when engine is idling. It looks clean though… If it was dirty I’d assume it was useless, but it’s too clean to be unused.

That metal valve looks like a fill or test port for your air conditioning system. You wouldn’t have anything connect to it, although it looks like it may be missing a cap.

With all due respect, I suggest you get this car to an actual mechanic. You’ve broken a few cardinal laws of auto repair:

1. Never touch a gasket you’re not prepared to replace
  2. Follow the torque specs on critical engine and suspension components
  3. Have a plan, start-to-finish, before you start the job.

Extracting a broken manifold bolt/stud could be costly or cheap, depending on exactly how it’s broken. Ditto for fixing the manifold gasket. And it sounds like judging by the lower fuel economy, you may not have fixed the PVC valve as well as you think.

If you don’t have a repair manual for this car with torque specs on key components, I have a hard time envisioning a successful end to this endeavor on your own.

2 Likes

Constructive criticism is always welcome. Don’t hold back. We all need to learn the hard way at one point. I’m a trucky in my 20’s and never had someone to show me the ropes, trying to learn and fix things myself if possible.

I’d like to try and fix the gasket and pcv tube, but the bolt may be out of my league. I couldn’t buy the proper pcv tube for the car so I measured the hole and bought a rubber tube matching it, clamping both ends with a hose clamp. Not ideal, I’ll need the proper part.

Putting it in to a mechanic is probably the better idea though.

look from 7:50 and later