Correct Tire Pressure

2008 Honda CR-V recommends 30psi for tire pressure. Got new tires which recommends 40psi for the particular tire. Dealer says will have to give warning unsafe if don’t have at car manufacturer’s recommended pressure. Tire dealer says won’t wear right if not at 40 psi (max for the Firestone Precision Touring tire is 44psi). I checked tire size on car sticker and new tires and they are the same. I am concerned about my car insurance if dealer puts a warning of possibly being unsafe at the tire recommended pressure. Help!

Let the tire dealer inflate them to 40 psi, then reduce them to whatever you feel comfortable with when you get home.

Personally, I think 30 is too low. I’d probably go about 35 if this were my vehicle.

Tell the dealer he is not allowed to put ANYTHING on your car except new tires. His threat is ridiculous.

The tire dealer is wrong. The value recommended by Honda is the one to use.

Time to find a new tire dealer. It’s the vehicle sticker that determines the appropriate pressure, not a dealer’s number he pulled out of his…hat.

Where’d he come up with his 40 psi recommendation? I’m really curious!

I will have to echo what has already been said before…the tire dealer is wrong. The proper pressure for your tires is the pressure listed on your vehicle’s placard. A couple of pounds extra will not hurt but 10psi is overinflation. I would start looking for a new tire dealer. The vehicle mandates the proper air pressure not the tire.

[b] Got new tires which recommends 40psi for the particular tire.[/b] 
  1. Maximum pressure: The tyres have a maximum pressure that they can be safely handle. You want to use. In this case you seem to be suggesting you want to use it at the max listed on the tyre, so as far as the tyres go, that should be fine.

2. Ride comfort: You seem to accept the harsher ride and since you are the only judge of that, then that should also be OK.

3. Safety: This is the one that I can’t offer a yes or no answer. While all the authorities (see below) agree that the pressure listed in the owner’s manual is the recommended proper pressure by all authorities, it must be acknowledged that there likely is some amount of flexibility.

Car manufacturers are concerned with many things. They want people to be happy with their cars and that means they want the car to give good mileage and the want the car to ride comfortably.

I have yet to see anyone who has access to real test track facilities and actual test results on modern cars and tyres, offer objective data to support the idea that pressures higher than that recommended by the manufacturer are as safe as the recommended pressure.

My opinion is that a few psi over the recommended value is not likely to compromise safety by any material amount. I would also suggest that there is a point where higher pressure will reduce safety enough to make a difference.

If mileage is more important than safety, go ahead and keep upping that PSI. Other wise, I would suggest reading the following and going along with the professionals. If it really was safe to go higher, then I don’t think all the authorities are going out of their way to tell us to use what the car manufacturer recommends.

http://www.tiresafety.com/
This is sponsored by a tyre manufacturer Bridgstone - Firestone and instructs the reader to check the owner’s manual for the correct tyre pressure.

Here is another from the Goodyear site.

Tire Inflation
Proper tire inflation is a key ingredient in driving safety and long tire life. It is wise to check your tire’s inflation at least once a month with an accurate tire pressure gauge. Continuous loss of inflation pressure is an indication of a possible tire/wheel assembly problem; consult your tire professional immediately if you encounter this situation. Be sure to check the pressure while the tires are cold, and have not been used recently. If you drive even a mile this will cause your tire pressure to increase and give you an inaccurate reading.

Check Your Air Pressure
Keep your tires properly inflated and you could improve gas mileage by more than $1.50 every time you fill your tank. The recommended tire pressure for your vehicle is located on a sticker inside your driver-side door or noted in your owner’s manual.
You might also try the US Department of transportation.
http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/problems/E...intenances.htm
They say:
You can find the correct tire pressure for your tow vehicle in the owner?s manual or on the tire information placard.

Right after the Firestone tire - Ford SUV blowout – roll-over problems my dealer started to ignor the door sticker for rear tire pressure and upped it to 30PSI from 26PSI on the door sticker, reason "prevent a Firestone-Ford situation. No argumets from me, I would take the car home and change the air pressure back to the sticker amount. Never had any problems. What is the tire dealer going to do regardig the “unsafe warning”? spray paint “usafe tire pressure” on the sides of the car? How would the tire dealer know what pressure you are running anyway? The door sticker is the authority for pressure, BUT, you need to ascertain if the Firestone Precision Touring tire is close to the specifications of the original equipment tire. If the new tires are not close, contact Honda factory service (not the car dealer) for Honda’s recommendation as to the pressure for your new tires. Oldmotorist

You refer to “tire dealer” and “dealer”. Are these the same person or is “dealer” the Honda dealer? Did the tire dealer’s recommendation come from a chart that matches your tires to your model vehicle or was it a generic recommendation for the tire only?

I would consider the vehicle manufacturer recommendations as a minimum. Since you can expect to lose about 1 psi per month, then add that amount for each month you normally go between checks, not to exceed 6. If you do a lot of highway driving, you can also fell free to add a couple of psi, again not to exceed 6 over the mfg recommended, or in your case 36 psi.

Your answer is here. This web site is sponsored by Bridgestone, which manufactures and owns Firestone. I think your tire dealer needs to watch the video at this site also as it appears that he maybe violating company policy. Watch the video and enjoy

http://www.tiresafety.com/

The maximum tire pressure shown on the tires I bought is 44psi. Less 5% for inflation from heat is 40psi. It’s the recommended psi for that tire which is the right size for my car.

“It’s the recommended psi”

By whom? This 44-5%=40 psi is a new one on me. Where did it come from? (again)

Max tire pressure shown on tires…

This tire fits MANY vehicle. The tire pressure on the sidewall is the highest safe pressure to TIRE was designed to handle. The placard pressure is the RECOMMENDED tire pressure set by the manufacturer based on the weight of the vehicle to achieve the proper contact patch. The pros explain it here:http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=147

Read about it here:http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=1

If all this is based on the pressure printed on the tire’s side, then you (and, more importantly, the dealer) are using the wrong number for your car. That is the MAXIMUM cold pressure allowed in the tire, but has NOTHING to do with what you should use with your CRV, except it is a ‘do not exceed’ number. It is NOT a ‘recommended pressure’ in any way.