Corolla engine diffrnce

hi, kindly what is the main difference between corolla engines (Dual VVT-i & VVT-i 16V) knowing that the two cars are 2009 toyota corolla 1.8L. Thanks in advanced

If you’re going by what is written on top of the engine, I believe that the Dual VVT-i is on the 1.8L engine and “VVT-i 16V” is on top of the 2.4L engine. Its a little weird b/c they both have a dual cam (thus the “Dual”) and they both have 16 valves (the 16V).

Basically, your choice in the Corolla is betwee the 1.8 liter & 2.4 liter engines. The 2.4 will obviously have more horsepower & torque (faster & more powerful) but lower gas mileage.

please see the attached two pictures, the two engine inthe pictures ar 1.8 L buti dont know thediference betwen them . i am going o buy a corolla and want to know which engine type is better. i believe there are some diference between the two engines. thanks

From the Toyota website www.toyota.com

Both are good engines. For the difference, cigroller’s post best explains it.

1.8-liter DOHC 16-valve dual VVT-i 4-cylinder 132 hp @ 6000 rpm; 128 lb.-ft. @ 4400 rpm

2.4-liter DOHC 16-valve VVT-i 4-cylinder 158 hp @ 6000 rpm; 162 lb.-ft. @ 4000 rpm

Ed B.

Right, so the bottom one (“VVT-i 16V”) is the 2.4L.

For me, if I was going to get the 2.4L I’d just get the Camry instead. Its basically the same engine but the Camry gives extra room & comfort.

They’re right, the bottom picture is of the 2.4 l, not the 1.8 l. Who is telling you it’s a 1.8 l?
Here’s a picture of the same engine in a Camry:

VVT-i has variable timing of the intake valves only.

Dual VVT-i has variable timing of the intake and exhaust valves.

Then there’s VVTL-i which controls valve lift and timing.

thanks guys for the Clarification

I noticed the 2.4L engine’d car has a front strut tower brace… I belive that’s the Corolla XRS…