Coolant loss, slow

This is on a 5.3? And it’s the coolant hose on front of the throttle body? If so, you can pull it off the TB and attach the ends, bypassing the TB. At least until you find the proper fittings.

The throttle body is not the problem, the hose is.

Edit: When I had the system empty replacing all the hoses and the waterpump, This hose was not included. I thought I could just get some generic hose and with some judiciously applied zip ties, I wouldn’t need the molded version. When I removed the hose, I discovered that the ID was different on each end. After I reapplied the hose, using the original hose clamps (factory spring clamps) it appears to be leaking between the hose and the barb on the throttle body.

I have considered pulling the hose off and using some RTV as a sealant but I don’t want to drain the system and I’m not sure how much coolant will be spilled if I just remove the hose with the system full. Also thought about using some stop leak, but then I just give myself a dope slap and move on.

if you have some slack, you could cut an inch from the leaking side and clamp again

if you do that on a cold system and before you open the cap, it is some negative pressure in the system and it will not leak, it will get some air in, at least that’s what I’ve seen on my old Nissan where I needed to gt that thin hose off to work on the throttle body

Thought about that but it appears that the reduction in ID was done with a rubber plug. Not sure how long it is, an inch might just go past the plug. It could also be leaking at the seam between the plug and the hose, it is hard to pinpoint the exact leak point as the whole area around the fitting is glowing.

Yeah, I thought about that after I posted it. Bypassing the tb does no good if the leak is in the hoses, right? I’ve seen guys bypass the TB in hopes of increasing performance. The hot coolant at the TB is kind of the opposite effect of a “cold air” intake, or that was their theory.

I’ve never looked to see where the hoses originate, so I don’t know exactly what was done in the bypass hack. I removed the TB to clean it when I bought my truck and was somewhat surprised those hoses had coolant! If you need to work on the hose fittings on the TB end, you can clamp them off in order not to loose coolant, I’d think. If I recall correctly, the hoses on my 05 are similar to vacuum lines (rubber), rather than some molded special hose. I’ll have to look at my truck. I’m curious now how those hoses are configured. If I recall correctly, the earlier 4.8, 5.3, 6.0 didn’t have that coolant hose. Not sure of its purpose…emissions, I guess…?

My 07 Classic is the same as an 05. It has the 5.3.

It appears that it would be pretty easy to run a hose from the radiator (passenger side), to the head (driver side) with a couple of worm clamps. My driver side rad hose appears it would reach the passenger head fitting as it is. Mine is an 05 with a 4.8 (same block). But I don’t see any oddball fittings/reducers on mine. I would do it temporarily to avoid a coolant leak. Not so much as a performance mod lol.

OK, cooling systems used to be pretty simple. Somewhere in the mid 90’s (96 I believe) GM created the reverse flow system which is used today. Finding accurate and complete information on this system is not easy to find on the information pothole filled dirt road we call the internet, aka the misinformation highway.

My neighbor has an 05 Silverado with the 4.8 and from the outside, they are identical. The hoses look the same and like you, I though it looked pretty simple. It wasn’t until I initially removed the hose that that goes from the cool side of the radiator to the throttle body that I discovered that the inside diameter of the hose was different on each end. The outside diameter is the same along the whole length. The OD of the section of the short hose that goes from the throttle body to the drivers side head has the same outside diameter but I did not remove it to see the ID.

I do not understand GM’s logic on this, it makes no sense. The hose is not available outside of dealer channels though, at least not as I can find.