Convince My Parents To Let Me Use The Car for College, Please!

Is the car going to be titled in your name and are you paying the insurance on a separate policy? If not, I cannot blame your folks for saying no. If something bad happened, Mom and Dad would be financially liable for your or one of your friend’s mistakes. You should never let other people drive (or borrow) your car if it is titled in your parent’s names and they pay the insurance. If you are going to have the title in YOUR NAME and pay the insurance, then their potential liability is gone.

If they can’t trust you to keep a room clean, why should they trust you with a car fourteen hours from home?

Scapegoat you sound like you’re whining. However, you also sound like you are maturing pretty fast. So, why not put your smarts to work so that they see the value of having the vehical that you see? Having a messy room is not a mature thing. Neither is saying “everyone has organization issues” to support your argument.

Assuming you paying for your car (and expenses) and your tuition, do whatever you want. If you are being supported by your parents, either follow their rules or start looking for a job.

When my oldest son was in college he was taking one of the hardest disciplines there, working a 30 hour a week job, making 297 dollar a month car payments + insurance, and doing just fine.

If he can swing this much then you should be able to swing much less easily; and consider changing your ID. “Scapegoat” infers you’re being a victim in this thing.

(Since you’re into technology, graduate, and then repair this lousy site which has logged me off again for the nteenth time. OKdis44grunt50led.)

Scapegoat: I wish I had a car when I was in college. It was every kid?s dream. However, I know four of my classmates that were killed on a road trip home over Christmas break. One was the really cute girl that worked in the dorm cafeteria that all the guys were nuts about. That was not worth the savings in airfare. I thought I was mature enough to have one but on hindsight, I probably would have gotten myself into a load of trouble. Everyone with a car in school (very few) seemed to have lower GPA?s as well. You may be upset at your parents but trust me; you will appreciate them for their wisdom later.

Here?s my advice to you:

1. Grow up. Clean your room and stop making excuses. When you stop having excuses, you might be ready for a car. Honestly, how tough is it to clean a room? I?d clean the entire house for a college car!!!

2. Deeds not words. Don?t ask others for help when you can and should accomplish the task yourself. It?s called maturity.

3. Get real. Unless your paying 100% of your college expenses, room & board and are paying for your car and have the insurance in your name, IT IS A FINANCIAL ISSUE TO YOUR PARENTS.

4. Here?s a financial problem. If you make a supply run to Walmart once a week, I will bet you that you will save more money by taking a cab rather than paying for insurance, car payments, maintenance, parking, and the inevitable parking tickets. But wait; if your parents’ are paying for all that, then it would be more expensive?. Refer to item #2.

5. Better yet, by using a cab, you can party your brains out with your friends and not fight about who the sober driver will be. You also won?t get killed when nobody stays sober.

Finally, put yourself in your parents? shoes. If you had a whiny kid with a messy room that wanted you to cover the cost of a college car, what would you do?

CORRECTION

1. … Refer to item #3.

Right on!!