Consumer Reports 10 Best Vehicles for 2024

That’s exactly the point.

That makes it two. Hardly statistically significant.

2 > “Nobody”

3 Likes

Where I live, there is one I occasionally see doing 40 in 50 mpg zone on a rural windy road. Like I said, it’s hardly practical. Not to mention that even I - being 5’7" 160 lbs with not beer belly - can hardly get in or out. If I wanted a race car, I would go with NSX…

“Practical” depends on your needs for the car. I commuted with mine, so no need for much cargo or more passenger space. It was comfortable to ride in because the “Daytona Spec” 84 springs were replaced with 85 softer ones and a set of my custom-valved shocks.

My wife and I did not have kids, so we didn’t need a back seat, and took 2 week driving vacations in the car with enough space for luggage.

Dave McClellan, the 84’s Chief Engineer once stated if you have trouble getting in and out, you were too old for the car! Wasn’t a problem back then for 30 year old, 5’ 11’ 220 lb me.

C5s, C6s and C7s are all easier to get in and out of than a C4. A C4 would be a tough entry for me now. I’m the same height but a bit heavier and older and my buddy’s 179K mile C6 ZO6 Corvette is easy in and out. Heck, he’s 76 years old but a bit smaller.

And you read that right… 179,000 miles, at least 90K of them track miles with the 7 liter, 505 hp engine. It is still tight and very fast and still doing track days. Quite a beast.

3 Likes

I remember sitting in a C4 in a dealer’s showroom, and getting in and out was really difficult when I was younger. I can’t begin to imagine doing it now that I’m a fossil. :wink:

My neighbor–who is almost as much of a fossil as I am–has a C7, and he doesn’t seem to have any problems getting into it or out of it. He likes it so much that he is already on the waiting list for an E-Vette.

1 Like

Ended production after 22. In Car and Driver’s Lightning Lap there are 6 Corvettes faster, and a slew of Camaros and Mustangs. Not to mention the NSX sold for 169K and up, while the Corvette still can be purchased new for 68K.

My sons Pontiac is 24 years old with no injector issues. I replaced fuel injectors in some 1980’s GM cars. In which decade are you living?

4 Likes

On all my Gm cars, I’ve never had to replace an injector, even at over half a million miles. Now my 86 park avenue did have a sticky injector that was resolved with cleaning.

I think it was 1987 though when the mechanic was cleaning my injectors, he pointed to a vette in the next bay and commented that that guy was not going to be happy because he needed three new injectors.

I may have to roll out onto the ground before getting up but it’s no trouble :grinning: Well worth it IMO.

3 Likes

That was how I had to exit from a Subaru BRZ after sitting in it in a showroom. At least nobody (I think… ) saw me on the showroom floor before I hoisted myself up by holding onto a fender.

That experience told me I was definitely too old for that car.

Those fuel injectors were inexpensive. Injectors today for a direct injection Toyota engine are $400 to $500 each.

Nonsense. After some practice, you could add some theatrics to make it look intentional- followed by a TA DA! or two. :wink:

Was probably 25 years ago now I pulled up in my vette and got out to an audience of male friends (who immediately made fun of me). You can imagine the noises- some grunting etc. One of my friends says, you’re doing it all wrong. You have to go like this {making noise}Gaaaahd, I LOVE this car!
:grinning:

1 Like

That’s based on the C8, right? He may want to try getting in/out of one, I heard they’re more difficult than the C7.

My old 1987 Park Ave had over 260,000 miles on it and the fuel injector(s) was about the only thing that had never been replaced for whatever reason…

I own a Toyota too, and have never needed to remove its carb a single time — b/c it doesn’t have a carb, fuel-injected … lol … I don’t think there are any new carb-equipped cars sold these days,and I expect that’s the case for the past 25 years. One of the posters here has a carb’d mid-80’s Corolla named “Eleanor”. You might ask them if they’ve ever needed to remove the carb. @LoudThunder as I recall.

I know diy’ers are timid about carbs, b/c they seem very complicated. But an early 70’s Autolite 2100 carb which my truck uses is a pretty simple gadget. There’s even a u-tube vdo about how it can be totally rebuilt just using an upside town 5 gallon bucket in the driveway as a work table in the driveway. It takes less than 10 minutes for me to remove the carb from the engine, very easy job.

GM retained carburetors until '84 or '85 on their “X” cars. Other GM models of the '80s may have gone over to injection earlier.

My '81 Citation was carbed, and the carb never gave me any trouble.

In school the guy at the local gas station used to rebuild his carb every 5000 miles, but he was a racer. I only rebuilt mine when it needed an accelerator pump after maybe 20,000. Not scary at all and the kits were only $20. My 86’s and later were all fuel injected though. Usually if I bought a used car like my corvair with two carbs, I would just rebuild them as a matter of course like a tune up.

I do have carb kits and parts on the shelf for my small engines and even a spare carb. Never been afraid of them if you just follow instructions.

1 Like

My 82 Olds Omega had throttle body FI.

I drove a friends of mine C7 for a week when he had his garage floor redone. I’m 6’3-210 and while the car was low - I didn’t have a problem getting out of it. My big project is ending next month and that’s when I plan on retiring. Already looking at a C7 to purchase. I’ve seen several 7-speed manuals with under 20k here in New England.

1 Like