Confused by an Oil Question & Answer

There is an answer to a question in the latest Consumer Reports that has me confused.

The question is “Is a certain percentage of synthetic motor oil required for an oil to be called ‘semi-synthetic’?”

The answer is “No, standards for oil are based on performance, not formula.”

First of all, I don’t think they answered the question.

But if they did…

Maybe it’s just me. It is early in the morning here in California. I’ve often read here that some vehicles require synthetic oil. If that’s true, how could the answer in Consumer Reports also be true?

If CR is correct, anyone could just use mineral oil if it is the required oil weight for their vehicle and is API certified.

What am I missing?

Here’s a try at clarification. Any oil can be called semi-synthetic if there is a very, very small synthetic content (say 1% or less), or it may have a much larger synthetic content. The percent content does not have to be displayed on the bottle. My understandng is that there are no real standards for content, for semi-synthetic. There are even arguments about whether some synthetics should be called synthetics, based on their base stocks. .

As to their second comment, I interpreted what they said was about API classification, which can be met with selected mineral oils, as well as synthetics or semi-synthetics. API classfications cross all oil types.

All of that said, you still have to meet the oil requirements as specified in the owner’s manual during the warranty period… In many cases (BMW & VW comes to mind), only synthetics meet their standards. In my case, that means I will run a synthetic oil while my Subaru is under warranty (Subaru highly recommends this, but does not clearly specify/require a synthetic). Then I will choose whether to continue the regimen, or not. For the most part, I am running synthetics or semi-synthetics anyway, based on my oil choices for my other vehicles.

Yes, they did answer the question, but–The Devil is in the details.

If a motor oil is labeled “synthetic”, then it is, by definition, 100% synthetic.
However, the question concerned “semi-synthetic” motor oil, and in that case, the exact proportion of synthetic oil to mineral-based oil varies from one brand to another.

If you want an analogy, think about the difference between fruit juices and “fruit drinks”.
The fruit juice is 100% juice, and the “fruit drink” might have anywhere from…perhaps as little as 5% juice… to as much as…maybe…50% juice.

The bottom line is that, if your Owner’s Manual specified synthetic motor oil, you should not be using “semi-synthetic”.

“Yes, they did answer the question, but–The Devil is in the details.”

I don’t see the answer the way you do. A correct answer would have been - 'In order for oil to be called semi-synthetic. it has to be at least ___% synthetic oil. They seem to be answering a different question than the one that was asked.

“'In order for oil to be called semi-synthetic. it has to be at least ___% synthetic oil.”

Please fill in the blank!
What is the minimum percentage of synthetic oil that is required in order for an oil to be called semi-synthetic?
Inquiring minds want to know.

Most sources I’ve researched say semi-synthetic oil is oil that is no more than 30% synthetic. Here’s a link to one source - http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special%3ASearch&search=semi-synthetic+oil]

A correct answer would have been - 'In order for oil to be called semi-synthetic. it has to be at least ___% synthetic oil

There is no standard as to what ratio of Synthetic/Regular Dino oil is. If there’s ANY regular dino oil then it’s semi-synthetic.

Most of the semi-synthetic oil is about 20% synthetic.

I have to agree with the previous posts. If the synthetic oil has ANY mineral oil in it then it’s semi-synthetic and should not be used in the place of synthetic oil. Consumer Reports answer is incorrect in my opinion. They sometimes get it wrong and they are wrong in this instance or they simply did not understand the question.

"There is no standard as to what ratio of Synthetic/Regular Dino oil is. If there’s ANY regular dino oil then it’s semi-synthetic.

Then wouldn’t you agree that CR should have given your answer rather than referencing API performance standards? Or at least they should have included the information you gave with their answer?

I have never seen a container of motor oil labeled 'Semi-Synthetic"…You are confused because the subject of your thread does not exist…However, “Synthetic Blend” products do exist, more a factor of shelf-space than anything else since NO car maker requires “synthetic blend” oil.

If a car maker has an engine he is worried about, or he wants to extend oil change intervals to 7500 miles and beyond, then they usually specify a specific brand of synthetic oil (100% synthetic).

I see NO benefit in using a “synthetic blend” motor oil over a 100% mineral product…If you feel a synthetic product offers you some benefit, then step up to a 100% synthetic product and get the full benefit!

I have never seen a container of motor oil labeled 'Semi-Synthetic"…You are confused because the subject of your thread does not exist…

There are a few oils that are labeled “semi-synthetic.” ‘Lucas’ is one of those brands you would see if you googled it. But it’s really just a matter of how the producer of the product wants to describe it. “Semi-synthetic” & “blend” mean the same thing.

Consumer Reports should stick with washing machines and house paint durability…

“Synthetic Blend” motor oils are a USELESS product. The consumer has no way of telling what the “blend” is, what the percentages are, or what the seller was trying to achieve by mixing mineral and synthetic base stocks. It’s all VooDoo Magic nonsense. The manufacturer knows EXACTLY what it is…An enhanced price-point for a product that costs little or nothing extra to manufacture. The consumer is enticed by the word “Synthetic” to purchase a product that for all he knows is 95% Mineral Oil…

Wasn’t that more or less what CR said?

If Joe Guy was confused before, he is going to be REALLY confused by the time this thread plays out…

“‘Synthetic Blend’ motor oils are a USELESS product.”

What if I want to run 0W-30 oil, which isn’t available as conventional, but I want to spend less $ than full synthetic?

I would step up, spend the extra $4-$5 for the full synthetic product and get all the benefits of the full synthetic product…

I have a feeling the price difference between mineral oil and synthetic oil will continue to narrow until price is no longer a factor when making a purchase decision…

I LOVE the Motor Oil Isle in a Super-Wally World…It takes me about an hour to make up my mind! What a play-pen for Lube Phreeks…

I didn’t think 0w oils were available in anything other than 100% synthetic

Back in the 80s Shell brought out their Syn-arctic 0W30 motor oil. It was semi-synthetic, meaning about 50% synthetic to meet the very cold starting needs in the North. I was priced midway between regular mineral and full synthetic, which not commonly available at this time.

The present definition of blend or semi-synthetic is all over the map, and of dubious value if it is a 5W30 or heavier.

Then there are part synthetic oils. Why bother with semi synthetic oil unless you drive a semi?

“consumer reports should stick to…” Caddyman…I would visit CR’s testing facilities and talk with their engineers before I dismissed their comments because they just happen to disagree. I feel that cars are moving to synthetics, however you define them as higher performance oils, in the interest of higher mileage change intervals. This falls in line with the official line that many of us change our oil way too frequently both for the sake of our cars and the environment. Synthetics are in my opinion, a response by the car companies to those who think that if 7500 miles is ok, 10 k is better. Sometimes car companies are caught in between and this is their approach I feel.