Computer on a 1992 camry

Hello,

My name is Jason and I live in AL. My sister (Kristy) has a 1992 toy Camry w/a bad computer based on what her mechanic states. Is it worth it to try to find a used computer at the junk yard and how much should it cost used. She has a lot of rust damage on the car but the engine/trans run well. Is the car worth repairing? The mechanic also states that it needs a new ignition as the ignition is sticking-car was stolen in the past. Kristy lives in Chicago and I was going to locate the parts in al and ship them to her. What do you guys think?

Thx, from Bammy

Well, here’s a used ECM on eBay. I’ve never had any problems with eBay procured parts but I always do my homework first by reading seller feedback, how long they’ve been on eBay, etc.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/92-96-Toyota-Camry-ECM-Computer-93-94-95-ECU_W0QQitemZ120189983563QQihZ002QQcategoryZ33596QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Any idea what the symptoms are and why the computer is diagnosed as bad? Computer failure is a rare thing to happen with any car and computers often get blamed when they are not the problem.

She could bring the symptoms of the problem here; or, even, her “mechanic” could. I agree with ok4450 that it’s probably not the computer.