Compost in trunk of Mustang

This woman is a menace! If she wanted that compost so badly that she couldn’t wait to use a truck, then what the heck is it doing still in her trunk? She doesn’t deserve to have a new car every year, and she’s just showing how spoiled rotten and unappreciative she is by purposely mistreating the gift that her husband is giving her. Reminds me of the senator’s wife who wraps her gifts in sheets of legal currency just because she can. She needs to have the keys taken away from her and given bus fare.

A new source of methane fuel for the car !

The only reason a sane and intelligent person would shovel anything into their trunk without first putting down a tarp is out of spite. In other words, a spoiled little brat who has no concept for the value of the things that have been GIVEN to her…

Hello everyone. Well well…I never thought my call to Car Talk would generate such a mix of responses! That call was from the early-to-mid 1990s…so believe me (Twin Turbo for one) I am flattered to be thought of as a spoiled little ***** at this age and stage in my life! :stuck_out_tongue: The mustangs are long gone…my hubby retired from his employer over five years ago…and I drive an EXPLORER that has no trunk for obvious reasons! Also, I’m sorry to say to my detractors, since those days of long ago—I actually grew up a whole heck of a lot, became (of all things!) a practicing psychologist, and am very grateful for the opportunities I get every single day to assist people with their change, healing, and growth process (myself included!). And, by the way, I learned to garden really well too since that time in my life! It’s all been a win-win ever since! Peace! Mary D. in Northville, MI

So Mary, what did you end up doing with the compost? Inquiring minds want to know.

Wow. I guess the guys are unconcerned how old their reruns are. Pretty soon we’ll hear one asking about “that new unleaded gas”.

Because of the fermentation process in compost, I would say it’s a good thing that no one tried to light a match or lighter in that car. Now here’s an interesting tidbit of information that many people don’t know: back in the 1600’s, in the days of “wooden ships and iron men”, manure was the only type of fertilizer available was shipped by sea-going vessels in large quantities; it was packaged in dry bundles, and therefore much lighter than when wet; and, when dried out, the fermentation process in the manure stopped. However, when the manure was placed in the bottom of a ship’s cargo hold, and the bilge water re-wet it, then the fermentation would begin again, creating highly flammable methane gas. Since the invention of battery-powered lights was still centuries away, the only lighting available was open-flame lanterns; so, whenever a night watchman would venture below decks with his lantern, into the methane-laden air in the hold, well, KA-BOOOM!!! A number of ships were lost at sea because of this, so shipping companies came up with a system for stowing manure bundles ABOVE the water in the bilge, and marked the bundles with the instruction, “Stow High In Transit” which became an acronym, S.H.I.T.; and like Paul Harvey would say, “Now you know the rest of the story”. :-))

Another little known story from the days of “wooden ships and iron men”. Cannon balls were stacked on deck to be ready for use. To keep the cannon balls from rolling around, a plate made from brass with 16 indentations for 16 cannon balls was used to hold the first layer of cannon balls. Then 9 cannon balls would be stacked on top of that first layer, then four and finally one at the top.

This brass plate was called a “monkey”. In cold weather, the brass plate would shrink faster than the iron cannon balls that it held and at some point, it would no longer hold the cannon balls in place. So there is an actual temperature that will freeze the balls off a brass monkey.