Comparison of Motor Oils

https://www.amsoil.com/lit/g1971.pdf

Six Laboratory Tests.

Eleven Oils.

A Good Read.

:thumbsup:

And Amsoil was determine to be the best. Whoā€™d of thunk it. I mean this was clearly an unbiased, 3rd party testā€¦

Then why didnā€™t Amsoil perform better in all the tests?
Perhaps you would prefer a good infomercial?

Reread the article boss, Amsoil did perform the best in the listed test. For an actual real-world test, Iā€™d be more interested in seeing how the additive packs, and acidity held up over a 7,000 mile run.

It actually isnā€™t much different than an infomercial.

Interesting, but clearly pure marketing.

I have my own test results. Iā€™ve owned, driven, and maintained cars for over 40 years, some for hundreds of thousands of miles. Iā€™ve only used department store oils (meeting API and SAE specs for the engine) and have never, ever worn out an engine. Ever.

Further, Iā€™ve never seen of heard of a properly maintained engine wearing out that might have gone longer with a different oil. Heck, Iā€™ll go even further, Iā€™ve never heard of a properly maintained engine wearing out internally except as a result of a failure of a non-lubrication type, such as a blown headgasket or a design weakness.

In short, if an engine is properly designed, manufactured and maintained itā€™ll outlast the car using any brand name oil that meets itā€™s manufacturerā€™s specifications.

All these test results prove, even assuming they were unbiased, is that Amsoil did better in these tests. They prove nothing else. They do not prove that your engine will run better and/or longer using Amsoil.

HERE, EDUCATE YOURSELF:

ASTM International is one of the largest voluntary standards development organizations in the world-a trusted source for technical standards for materials, products, systems, and services. Known for their high technical quality and market relevancy, ASTM International standards have an important role in the information infrastructure that guides design, manufacturing and trade in the global economy.

ASTM International, originally known as the American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM), was formed over a century ago, when a forward-thinking group of engineers and scientists got together to address frequent rail breaks in the burgeoning railroad industry. Their work led to standardization on the steel used in rail construction, ultimately improving railroad safety for the public. As the century progressed and new industrial, governmental and environmental developments created new standardization requirements, ASTM answered the call with consensus standards that have made products and services safer, better and more cost-effective. The proud tradition and forward vision that started in 1898 is still the hallmark of ASTM International.

Today, ASTM continues to play a leadership role in addressing the standardization needs of the global marketplace. Known for its best in class practices for standards development and delivery, ASTM is at the forefront in the use of innovative technology to help its members do standards development work, while also increasing the accessibility of ASTM International standards to the world.

ASTM continues to be the standards forum of choice of a diverse range of industries that come together under the ASTM umbrella to solve standardization challenges. In recent years, stakeholders involved in issues ranging from safety in recreational aviation, to fiber optic cable installations in underground utilities, to homeland security, have come together under ASTM to set consensus standards for their industries.

Standards developed at ASTM are the work of over 30,000 ASTM members. These technical experts represent producers, users, consumers, government and academia from over 120 countries. Participation in ASTM International is open to all with a material interest, anywhere in the world.

If you want to read about oil endlessly, go here:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php

Iā€™m certainly no petro-chemist, so I donā€™t feel qualified to pick apart the various studies that they commissioned. But their Amway-style multi-level marketing (i.e pyramid-style) makes me VERY suspicious. If their oil was demonstrably better than other oils why wouldnā€™t they just sell them through normal channels, where they donā€™t have to maintain several layers of salespeople? Oils like Mobil 1 and other high-quality full synthetics that have had much more independent testing sell great through conventional channels, despite costing often more than twice as much as regular oils.

I donā€™t doubt that AMSOIL is probably pretty good oil, but it seems like whatā€™s unique about them is their marketing, not any kind of inherent superiority in the oil itself.

I couldnā€™t agree more with GreasyJack. The oil is probably as good as any other oil on the market but the AMSOIL people are trying to give the illusion that they have the best product.

Not a bad marketing strategy, but I wouldnā€™t go out of my way to use that oil since any brand on the market that meets API standards is good enough.

A standard tactic that marketers often use is to point out the inferiority of other brands. Notice how AMSOIL can only imply inferiority of other brands but not show any negative results from using them.

My friend, having spent the better part of 23 years as a quality engineer and manager I probably know more about the ASTM, and about laboratory testing, than you will ever dream of knowing.

The first thing you want to look at when evaluating the results of a test is not what spec was used, but who did the test. The second thing you should look at is the conclusionsā€¦are they supported by the test? For example, Amsoil performed a test for high temperature volatility and used the results to say that Amsoil maximizes fuel economy and reduces oil comsumption and emissions. They did not test for its impact on fuel economy, oil consumption and emissions. Their conclusion is invalid. There is no evidence that Amsoil maximizes fuel economy, reduces oil consumption, or reduces emissions.

I have no doubt that Amsoil is good oil. But you have to be careful when reading someone elseā€™s interpretation of test results. Espectially of that ā€œsomeone elseā€ is a matketing department.

Look, if you canā€™t handle discourse simply post your post and say ā€œplease do not provide opinionsā€.

Shatto:
While Amsoil may be a good (albeit expensive) oil, I have to fully support MountainBikeā€™s reply. Why spend lots of extra money on motor oil when simply following the recommendations in your carā€™s ownerā€™s manual will give you the same service.

Also, can you explain why when I do a search for ā€œAmsoil + Shattoā€ I see that youā€™ve been pitching numerous Amsoil products on dozens of sites for over a year now.

Given your financial motivation behind your posts, where do you think your creditability is at this moment?

Thank you for that insight, JoeMario.

I just Googled amsoil + shatto, and you are correct that this guy sure sounds like a long-term shill for Amsoil products. Since this site specifically prohibits commercial pitching, I think that shatto may well be in violation of Cartalk.comā€™s terms of service.

For normal driving, if you follow the oil change frequency specified for your car, and use any normal oil, your engine will likely outlive the rest of the car. I have changed oil in my own cars for 45 years, and only used synthetic in very cold areas. The last time I did any internal engine work related to lubrication was in 1964 on a very tired 1957 6 cylinder flathead Plymouth.

Unless you have a turbo-equipped car, or live in an area with extreme weather, normal off the shelf oil specified for your car will allow your car to live to its normal design life.

Between the API, ASTM, and the SAE your motor oil will meet all the requirements.

Heavily promoted premium oils normally cost that much because the advertising per bottle is almost the cost of the product itself. When STP additives were in their heyday, the cost per can for promotion was 2/3 of the selling price!!

We have many posters who have gotten their cars to 400,000 miles on standard dino oil without any internal engine work.

Goody.
Had you read on you would have found where I said something like this:

I have not, do not and will not sell Amsoil to anyone on this or any other site. Nor will I sponsor you.

I am an Amsoil dealer so I can get the best price for my personal consumption.

Good point.

Now donā€™t any of you ever use the name of any product you use, nor even want to find out about in your own posts.

We donā€™t want to be ā€˜shillingā€™ products, do we?

Generally speaking, you are 100% correct.

I do wonder, though, about those cars of fairly recent vintage that smoke like crazy.
Seriously, what causes that?

I too thank you for that insight Joe. I didnā€™t realize the man was a pitchman.

Shatto, can you respond to this?

Perhaps they selected their oil based on marketing claims.

So, when I buy a locomotive Iā€™ll lube it up with Amsoil. :o)