Compact SUV with best suspension

I was mainly trying to figure out if OP was running the S 17" tires or not due to the rough roads, My DD has P205/555R16’s on it and I don’t think that is the issue…

Please do let me know if this is not the correct thing to post on this thread and if I should post a new thread.

I tested the Subaru Forester Wilderness. The drive was bumpy as the ground clearance is very high. My suggestion is not to go for this trim.

No problem with your post.

If you prefer selling your Corolla and buying another SUV, I suggest you look at used entry level luxury SUVs. Our neighbor bought a 2 year old, fully loaded Acura MDX a few years ago and they are happy with it. It isn’t a compact SUV, but it shows that used cars can save money and still be satisfactory. Consider test driving Lexus, Acura, Buick, Audi, and Cadillac compact SUVs to see what’s available under $35K.

Okay Thanks. The new Acura 2023 is way out of my budget :-). Will look at Certified Pre-owned.

CPO status doesn’t guarantee the car is problem free. Even Consumer Reports recommends getting a pre-purchase inspection for CPO vehicles at a shop you trust. Given that the dealer charges a premium for CPO vehicles, you might consider widening your search.

1 Like

+1

A CPO is only as good as the tech doing them… If you know of a trusted shop, that is who needs to do the check out for you…

I have ticked a lot of used car dealers off when I would do one, cause I pick that sucker apart and give a report with it, and will gladly take both the customer and the dealer sales person out to show them what I find and why it is bad… lol I would also point out any visible new and or salve yard parts I found… And I test drove them to check brakes handling shifting issues etc…

I test drove the Mazda CX 5. The trim is PREFERRED.
It was quite comfortable on the roads. I could drive it on the road which I usually drive the Corolla. The salesperson mentioned to me that for having a good ride what matters is the amount of rubber in the Tire. So, the model has 16inch wheels, but I noticed the tires were very thick.

There were few other trim models which had larger wheels. These models which had slightly larger wheels had slightly thinner tires. I understand that as the wheel size + tire size cannot go beyond a certain diameter.

Can you please tell me if smaller wheels and larger tires give better ride within city and on bumpy roads. It felt so while test driving. But maybe my mind was already thinking what the salesperson told me: slight smile:

The interiors were very nice. I do not really care about that but worth mentioning.

I wanted to switch on the navigation, but the salesperson told me they only work with Apple phones. Fine I can live with it.

Last one what should be a good decent value on the Corolla 2016 LE 2016 70K for trade in?
I was offered 10K by the dealership and they mentioned it is in great shape.

I saw cars on Car Guru for an approximate value. They are being offered around 12500.
I saw on Edmund price being close 12600.

Smaller wheels+taller tires=smoother ride

1 Like

Subaru Crosstek gets good reviews for its suspension.

This is true, but the wheels need to be large enough for the brakes to fit. On many cars you could swap to whatever wheels come with the base trim, which are normally the smallest ones offered.

On another note, try not to run two totally different tires like you’re doing now. It’s safest in low-traction conditions to have all matching tires (with similar tread depth).

2 Likes

I drove the RAV 4. Was very satisfied with the way it handled bumpy roads.
The dealerships have gone crazy for the RAV 4 pricing.

If you mean they are pricing new ones above MSRP, try another dealership. Not all of them are gouging customers. Consider a dealer up to 50 or even 100 miles away. You can get warranty work done at any dealership, not only the one you bought the car from.

4 Likes

+1 to jtsanders’ suggestion.
All of the dealerships near me were adding anywhere from $5k to $15k to the sticker price of the model that I wanted, and one of those crooks added insult to injury by offering me only $1,000 for my pristine trade-in.

I cast my net wider, and by simply driving 70 miles–to PA–I found a dealership that didn’t add anything to the sticker price AND they gave me $7,500 for my trade-in.

Simply driving 70 miles saved me MANY thousands of $$ on the purchase, and I am having the vehicle serviced by the closest dealership for that make, which was very eager to get my service business–even though I didn’t buy the vehicle from them.

2 Likes

$10 K seems like it might be a little on the low side. No worries, life is a flea market, the other side is usually going to start low. You just need to explain why they are too low is all. If you can’t reach price agreement, you can always sell your Corolla yourself. I expect you’ll get a lot of interest in a 2016 Corolla in good condition with only 70K miles. Kelly Blue Book is the standard for used car prices & has a free on-line service I think, might try looking up the price there.

Drop by a CarMax and have them give you an offer on the Corolla, it’s good for 7 days. They ended up $500 better than the dealer’s trade in offer.

1 Like

Most dealer’s in this area have a number of Rav’s on the lot for MSRP, with the exception of one trying for a $1,995 ADM.

Not for a lot of dealers… KKB is for the public, most dealers use a different book…

Most dealers do not use KBB for trade-in (wholesale) values . Instead, many rely on National Auto Research’s Black Book or the Manheim Market Report, neither of which is available to the public. More important, both tend to skew lower than KBB in wholesale pricing.

Their resale prices are also higher then KBB on top of trade in being lower then KBB… I used to have access to them years ago…

Curb Your Enthusiasm episode. Larry decides to sell his older car to his manager, Jeff.

Jeff: Ok I’ll buy it, but how much?
Larry: You decide a fair price.
Jeff: Ok, I’ll look it up in Kelly Blue Book
Larry: Done

Later on Larry discovers by accident Jeff’s price is $5000 too low.

Larry: Why did you say the price was $5000 below the car’s actual value?
Jeff: I must have looked at the wrong book … lol …

While negotiating buying the car I have 5 tips

1. Nowadays all the information is available on internet. Do your research.
  2. Understand the sales agent works for you. He does not get commission unless you buy.
    So, they will negotiate whatever they say. The important thing is you should be willing to walk away.
  3. Get a quote of your used vehicle from CarMax.
  4. Get a competing offer from anywhere, any state.
  5. Make sure your partner understands and both of you stick together in the whole conversation.

If you are buying a new car, please feel free to send me a direct message.