Coming Soon! Our New Car Talk Community

@cdaquila you are so sweet in remembering my former moniker, that flood is water under the bridge, I will always look forward to seeing your smiling face.

Welcome to Car Talk Forums Victoria. Happy to see you around. I presume you are a technology expert, and not a car expert. Yet. I say “yet” b/c if you follow the discourse here, pretty soon you will be something of a car expert … lol …

Hi Folks! Thanks for the warm welcome for Victoria, here. She’s fabulous- we already feel guilty for luring her to help out at Car Talk Plaza, and permanently damaging an otherwise stellar resume.

I wanted to share a quick update on the community. We had been close to launch several months ago, as you guys know. Then, the (widely-regarded) company with whom we had partnered, folded. It happens in life… We took over the code base, evaluated what we had at that point, then made the very difficult decision to drop what we had developed, for reasons too boring to go into, here.

Following that, we did a new round of evaluating what’s out there, and settled with the fine folks at Discourse. It’s a very powerful, stable, and scalable community forum. The founder is the co-created of Stack Overflow-- and a Car Talk fan. We’re in the process of tailoring it to our needs without tinkering with the underlying code too much. Discourse has been really supportive, and we’re making steady forward progress. I hope to have more news in about a month.

All Best,

Doug

@Senior Web Lackey

Doug, speaking of the new community forum, I hope it runs as well on my minimal internet hook-up as this current one does. Forgive me for not knowing much about PCs and internet connections, but I can relate my experience.

My system is slow in speed (Windows 7, IBM PC upgraded, 4GB, 32 bit). It’s the connection speed that has sometimes caused problems. As I mentioned, I have no problems loading and using this site (except posted videos don’t go).

However, as an example of new improved sites, my rural electric cooperative has a site I’ve used for years. I input my meter reading once per month. They recently signed onto a national rural coop new improved webpage and I got kicked out of using it completely because it is not compatible with my system (slow peed is the cause, I believe). Others across the country in rural areas are as disappointed with it as I am.

I can easily use almost any other commercial site and my e-mail without problems. I read several online newspapers everyday and don’t experience problems (except videos won’t run).

Do you think I’ll have any trouble with the upgrade? I didn’t sign up to be a guinea pig, trying out the upgrade, but I’d be happy to be added to the list if you’d like.
Please let me know and let me know how to get signed up.
CSA

I have similar problems to CSA’s. Speed is not a problem. I have a 3 year old mac, and my browser (Safari) cannot be upgraded. I switched to the Chrome browser only for this web site, as Safari didn’t work here. But Google just told me that Chrome cannot be upgraded any more for my computer.

I just had weather.com stop working, and one of my bank’s is kicking me out soon. Two other sites also no longer work for me.

As a former webmaster for a large company, my policy was to keep the web site working for many years of older browsers. Apparently that guideline is now passé, and we are expected to upgrade our browsers on a monthly basis, which will require our computers be not more than a year or two old. (slight exaggeration, but only slight).

As you can guess, I think this is a very poor policy. but not much I can do about it.

b

Coming Sooner or Later! Our New Car Talk Community

There, I fixed it…

@BillRussell You have a three year old Mac and Safari is not upgradeable and your version is not compatible with the new web sites? I have a 2002 model Mac Powerbook G4. My Safari has not been upgradeable since about 2011 and most websites work for me.

I am using Lenovo with Linux now for most of my internet stuff, but it does not have a workable photo processor so if I want to post a photo, I still use the Mac.

Keith: I have Safari 6.1.6 under system 10.7.5.

Actually, the mac just turned 4 years, sorry.

Wow, a new Mac then. Apple used to support their operating systems for at least 10 years. When did they shorten it to Microsoft standards? Must be a Tim Cook thing.

I could upgrade to a newer system, but I’m reluctant because apple requires an itunes account to get system upgrades with newer versions … A very strange policy. But I guess at some point I will have to bite the bullet.

From what I’ve been hearing, you may not want to upgrade as there are some serious security issues with the new system. BTW, do you do regular system updates? I used to do them once a week until Apple cut off support for my old system.

I can’t wait to hear all about it. It’ll be like binge watching Game of Thrones, only with cars and stuff.

@keith

I am using Lenovo with Linux now for most of my internet stuff, but it does not have a workable photo processor so if I want to post a photo, I still use the Mac.

I use Linux and use photo editor GIMP, free download. I have done photo repair for the local Casa de Cultura. LIke a government culture function. It works great. It runs different than Photoshop, which is certainly not free, but does most of the same things If your Linux machine has no workable photo processor, I theorize it is because you are unable to download a large package like GIMP using apt-get or whatever the package program is for your distro.

For very simple things Gwenview lets you crop and other simple things. And, you can also install free functions that let you do a lot from the command line. Of course that would require some serious computer knowledge.

I am a new member, how do I post a question about a problem with my 1991 Toyota Celica? I apologize if this is the wrong location. I am comfortable with computers, rather geeky, but can’t find an answer to this simple question for the life of me!

Main page, upper right hand corner, box with new topic, click on that.

Click on the “Car Talk” icon at the top of this page, then click on the “+ New Topic” button at the top right of the page.

Thanks. Found it

I though, oh man, not another change, and then realized it was from a year ago. Personally I’m happy with a little imperfection if it means some stability.

1 Like