Comes back worst than when I took it in!

Took my 2000 Subaru Outback in for a CV axle replacement, mechanic said the bearings were gone too. So I paid my dues and he fixed it, maybe. Before I got home the car was still making the ‘knock, knock’ sound from the left front(same side as before). I called him and he said,“it could be a ball joint or…” I don’t remember what else.

My car has progressively gotten worst during my trip to Gulf Shores and back(1200 miles). Now it makes a grinding sound when I turn left AND the steering wheel gives strong resistance every 1/4 of a turn.

Any clues?

Are you saying that you now have the same problem that you had to begin with? You never really said what got it into the shop for axles & bearings originally.

If that is the case then the work done may have been based on poor/hasty diagnosis - or it may be that those things needed to be done, but that there is more that needs to be done.

The symptoms you describe could indeed be from several different things - ball joints are one; strut mounts/bearings; steering rack & linkages. You need a good, competent, independent mechanic - preferably one that specializes in front end work. If someone claims to have diagnosed it, ask politely if they can show you so that you can understand.