Collector Cars After New Green Deal

That miserable old cuss will probably outlive all of us, and he’ll probably be one of those guys that never retires, but dies in office, thus forcing a special election

2 Likes

Like I said, there will be an exemption for any cars once they reach 25 years old, and become “historic” or “antique”. I predict that in the not-too-distant future, anything from the 1990s, which runs and drives, and has a decent body will become quite valuable.

According to your theory, should Pintos, Chevettes and Ford Granadas be valuable right now . . . ?!

To be honest, a running, drivable Pinto in good condition is valuable right now, even though I personally would not want one. I have not seen a Chevette which runs in years, however to someone who needs a quinessential 1980’s car, for example to use in a movie, I am sure a Chevette would be valuable too.

I don’t care if my car is powered by a big block chevy, gigantic electric motors or mr. Fusion. I’ll swing by your house and roast the hides off it… :grin:

To certain individuals, yes, a Pinto is valuable

But it’s only potential value, until it’s actually sold and money exchanges hands

Do you ever read Jalopnik’s “Nice Price or Crack Pipe” feature? They constantly profile cars like this for sale, and in spite of the fact that some organization places a high value on such cars, the vast majority of the readers . . . including me . . . vote them down as massive crack pipe losses

It’s kind of like a house down the street from me. The seller was asking a quite high price, based on several factors. But everybody said it was too much for the area, and it didn’t sell. He had to take it off the market and wait several months, at which point he listed it for considerably less. Then it sold rapidly

Just because such and such says a prime condition Pinto will sell for x amount of dollars, doesn’t mean it actually will, or maybe it won’t sell at all

I like auto racing. I thought I liked all kinds with drag racing my least favorite but I still watched it occasionally.

Then I tried to watch a Formula E race. it was like listening to electric fork lifts. Then I tried watching electric Jaguars racing, They were on a special high friction track so you could hear the tires shredding.

I think Formula E is being put on because it is politically correct. I don’t lnow if anyone enjoys it. I certainly don’t.

3 Likes

Electric car racing is like watching paint dry. Formula E markets itself in completely different ways to Formula 1. They are trying to reach a younger audience that apparently doesn’t like cars. Or racing.

Seems odd… Or just eco PC.

4 Likes

I saw a Pinto on the road last year with Antique Plates. I just shook my head and said - Why?

1 Like

I saw a diesel chevette. Beat that.

1 Like

Ha! It should have had a personal plate with flames.

I did see a vanity plate on a Pinto some 20 years ago that said BOOM.

1 Like

Lots of old cars are ‘collectible’. That’s very different from ‘valuable’ or ‘classic’.

Do you suppose you could find a more appropriate way to refer to a United States senator than “chick?”

As to what’s going to happen to the classic cars, most are going to end up in museums because they’re not going to run forever whether gas is available or not.

Others will be converted to electric and will stay on the roads. They’re already doing that. There are conversion kits for everything from 60’s Mustangs to 90’s MR2’s, and there’s even a company converting old Rolls Royce Phantoms and Silver Spurs to electric.

4 Likes

I’ve lived through enough predictions of Imminent Apocalypse to give it much credibility BUT it’s pretty clear that the future is electric once the battery storage issue is solved.

My WAG is 10 years on the battery issue, another 10 years for gas powered cars to age out and then gasoline will become a harder to find specialty item like boat gas but by that time the other technology (lane assist, adaptive braking, safety features, Bluetooth, USB) would have improved so much that nobody would want to drive these antiques on a daily basis.

I wouldn’t be surprised if it were less than 10 years to sort out the battery issue. There are already some interesting technologies just over the horizon.

Even airplanes are starting to point toward electric power, and that’s impressive because if you run out of juice in an airplane you can’t just pull over and call for a charge, y’know? Plus, batteries are heavy so you need a pretty efficient system to make the weight picture work out. If there’s serious efforts being made to bring electric power to aviation, it’s absolutely gonna take over in ground vehicles.

The gasoline-powered car is dead - it just hasn’t stopped twitching yet. You’ll still see them in the future, but it’ll be a lot more rare. Kinda like you only see buggies at horse shows and state fairs.

Just had this discussion with some gear-head friends… So I wouldn’t say nobody… There is something to driving cars with no power anything, skinny tires, a manual trans and moderate horsepower. All this technology insulates us from the task of actually driving.

Yes, I like 420 ponies underhood, my automatic trans (and my air conditioning!) but the only place I get to exercise them is on the track. I think my next project car will be a 65 Mustang, 6 cylinder, manual trans car. Modded a bit with fuel injection, a 5 speed and at least front disk brakes (and AC, 'cause Florida). Not sure about which 6 yet…might have to be the old Jag 6 :wink: Might also be a convertible :sunglasses:

1 Like

That sounds like pure misery :slightly_frowning_face:

4 Likes

Yep, most will. :+1:

3 Likes

Nearly all of the restored '60s classic cars are driven only on weekends and only in fair weather, or are trailered to car shows. Their overall impact on energy consumption and the environment are almost negligible. In my state, an “antique car” plate allows the owner to drive the car in parades and attend car events on weekends. If you want to use it as a daily driver, you have to get more expensive normal plates.

2 Likes