Cold Heat

I have a 2000 Dodge Intrepid with a 2.7 motor. I have cold heat but it will still defrost windows the temp guage stays around the 1/2 way mark.

Need help figuring this out please as I don’t have alot of money to spend.

First make sure the cooling system is completely full with no air pockets. Then check the hoses going to and from the heater core. Both should be hot when the engine is warm and the heat is on.

If there’s still no heat the problem is one of the doors in the HVAC system under the dash. The blend door controls air temperature by directing incoming air through the heater core or the AC evaporator, depending on the desired temperature.

There are also doors that control airflow to the various vents. You say the defrost works. Do you get hot air from the defroster vents?

Yes both hoses are hot, and the same cold air blows out of the defroster vents also, I do know when I turn the heat off and put it on the air conditioning it blows very cold, but since I live in Michigan I don’t really need that now.

If the core is hot and the air coming out the vents is cold, the temperature blend door is not working. The actuator could be faulty or something could be physically obstructing the operation of the door.

Some of these systems are vacuum controlled, some are electric. You’ll have to crawl down into the footwell to see where things are. A service manual, such as Haynes, would be very helpful.

Do You Have A Manually Controlled Heat / AC System Or Automatic Climate Control ?
Do You Have Push-Buttons Or 3 Round Knobs That Are Turned To Select Settings ?

CSA

Not Much Money ? Are You Willing To Learn And Make An Effort At DIY ? Try This Link. Although It’s Written For A 98, It Should Work For Your 00. Find Your Control And Read Through, First.

Tell which control set up you have, please. I may have other ideas for you.

CSA

If the core is hot and the air coming out the vents is cold, the temperature blend door is not working.

I sure agree with that. You might try looking for the vacuum hoses under the dash, I believe that Dodge has vacuum controls