Cold air intake

my husband wants to get a cold air intake one of those gadgets that is suppose to save gas .dose it really work?

I don’t know about saving gas but it will probably give you a tad more power. I have one on my car, but I have a turbo charger. Your engine might appreciate the cold air versus hot air from the engine compartment. If he does put one on the car make sure it’s true cold air intake and not just laying on top of the engine in the compartment (like I see some people do), as that just causes it to suck warm air. It needs to be routed down into the fender and it should have a box type thing around it to ensure that it is getting only cold, clean, dry air.

These things do provide a little extra horsepower but they are not intended to be fuel savers. Let your husband go ahead with his project. It’s harmless enough and gives him something to brag about.

No they don’t work. Its a placebo for more power that is all. If it makes him feel good and does not crack your budget why not.

Cold air intakes have some effect increasing power, but it is generally only noticeable in high performance applications. It will not save any gas. Also, most CAIs move the air intake tube somewhere towards the front bumper, closer to the ground. There have been cases of the intake sucking up water during rainy weather and causing the engine to hydrolock and grenade itself (a bad thing for engine longevity.) You’re better off leaving the powertrain as is.

see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_air_intake for more info on these gadgets.

Watch out that the gadget doesn’t require a different air filter. Some types of air filters can damage the MAF sensor and cause engine problems.

The engine is designed to run on the warm air. If he is driving a recent model car or truck, he shouldn’t bother with different air intakes. It won’t do anything.

Any improvement would be so miniscule that a human being would never be able to differentiate the before and after.
A dyno might be able to spot the difference but you have to ask yourself how much driving you do with the throttle floored.
Save your money.

I think most of the perception of increased power that comes from a cold air intake is the increased noise factor-- the stock airbox is usually designed to make the engine as quiet as possible.

Knowing the make, model, and year of the car would really help.

On old carburated vehicles it could afford a miniscule increase in power by providing slightly cooler, more desnes air and, in some cases, reducing the intake restriction.

On modern engines the design actually intentionally tries to warm the air when the engine is cold in order to improve gas mileage and reduce emissions. And modern engines have sensors and systems that can be adversely affected by the oiled filters.

On a modern engine I recommend against it.

A cold air intake will make more NOISE, which makes people think they have more power. It will NOT save gas, and may, in fact, lower you gas mileage. It is impossible to increase power and mileage at the same time. They are inversely proportional.

Cold air intakes are a waste of money, but guys (at least some guys) think they are “cool” and just can’t live without them.

It could be worse.

Yea, modern cars don’t need them. The only likely problem I can think of is the initial expense and if he would decide to add a K&N filter, it is likely to damage the MAF if that car has one.

I made a CAI for my 93 Caprice using a Cadillac Air Box, PVC pipe, and a K&N filter for less than $40 ($30 for the filter). The Caprice had the most restrictive OEM air intake I’ve ever seen on a car. Better mileage, more HP? Can’t really say, but it sounds good and clears up a lot of clutter under the hood. Worth $40? Maybe. Worth $250 (price for a 2000 Blazer)? Heck no.

Ed B.