Clutch fluid

Hey all -

I’m currently working for the Peace Corps in Zambia. After my 2 years living in the village, I decided to stick around another year working as a provincial coordinator.

The best part about this job is that I get to drive around the Zambian bush in a 2006 Toyota LandCruiser. I work with a Zambian who, among his other talents, is a very competant mechanic. A very competant mechanic who is very possessive of his vehicle.

Which brings me, in a roundabout way, to my question. He’s been on leave for the last couple of weeks and he comes back tomorrow. In an effort to show him that I can take care of basic maintenance I made sure that all the fluids were filled.

However I just noticed that when filling up the clutch fluid resevoir I used dot 4 brake fluid rather than dot 3. I only put in maybe 20ml. Is this going to cause problems? (i.e. Do I need to tell him about my mistake?)

Thanks!

Ted

Everything I could find tells me DOT4 fluid is compatible with DOT3. If I’m wrong I’m sure someone else will point out my mistake.

DOT5, on the other hand, is not compatible with other brake fluids.

You did good.

The two fluids are interchangeable…

Thanks guys! Glad to hear it!