Clunk noise - Peugeot 206cc

Hi,

i have a Peugoet 206cc, automatic, and every time i left off the accelerator i hear a ‘clunk’ noise. sometimes there is a 1-2 second delay but it pretty much always makes the ‘clunk’ at all speeds.

the car slows as normal when i lift off the gas.

Anyone have any ideas?

What year and how many miles?

206 cc? That equals 12.5 cubic inches!
Surely this is not a car, even though you stated that it is a car.
Is this a motor scooter?

If it’s a petrol it could have anything from 1 liter 76 HP 3 banger to a 2 liter 134 HP 4 banger. Diesels are even more anemic ranging from 67 to 89 HP. It’s your basic, overpriced, underpowered, unreliable euro supermini. Anyway, sounds like the transmission may be in limp-home mode. When in this fail-safe mode, the line pressure in the transmission is increased in an effort to preserve itself. Take the car to a mechanic and see if there are any codes present. Just because there is no light on the dash, it doesn’t mean that there aren’t any in memory.

Yeah, those engines do sound really anemic. But, by comparison, can you imagine what the stated 206 cc/12.5 cubic inch engine in the OP car’s car must be like?

However, I have a hard time believeing that a car with that size engine could possibly have an automatic transmission. Do you think that the OP is mistaken about the displacement?

As you probably know, “206cc” is the model designation, a hardtop convertible. Here’s a (slightly wierd) commercial for it:

Well, I’ll be a monkey’s uncle! That is indeed a model designation for a Peugeot mini-car with engines ranging from 1 litre to 2 litres–even though it seems like a really weird way of naming a European vehicle. After all, on that continent, small engine displacement is measured in CCs.

In any event, the OP should be aware that Peugeots have not been marketed in the US for MANY years and none of the US-based members of this US-based forum are intimately familiar with modern cars of that make. We can, however, give general information that might or might not apply to that model.