Clicking noice from thermostat in 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee

I recently began hearing a noise from my car when I change the temperature inside the vehicle. When I adjust my temperature control either direction, hotter or colder, I hear a temporary clicking noise that is pretty loud. It sounds like it is coming from behind the dash. It sounds mechanical and stops after a few seconds. I have a manual temperature dial. This is not a digital display or climate control. This is on a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Does anyone know what is wrong and how to fix it?

Thanks so much for your help.

Byron

The noise is probably from a defective blend door actuator motor.

This is located behind a panel under the dash to the right of the gas pedal.

Tester

What Tester said, though I would say faulty rather than defective. Defective implies failure during a warranty period. Faulty just means broken.

When you turn your temperature dial your climate control system tells an electric motor to open or close the hot/cold blend door a certain amount. The plastic gears in these motors wear and eventually get noisy. Before too long the motor will stop controlling temperature and you’ll have to get it fixed.

I define a component being defective be it new or old, as being no longer effective in doing what it was designed to do.

Tester

True, but components reach a point in their lives when breaking isn’t unexpected. Any moving part in a car has a finite life span. I define defective as being faulty within the expected life. After 8 years of daily use, I don’t find it unusual for the plastic gear in that actuator to be bad. Just normal wear and tear.

Your not doing bad. My 95 Dodge Intrepid lost a defrost door motor within 3 years.

Oh no, not another linguistics debate!!!
I was terrible at English. But everyone seems to understand me usually. Ain’t that the point?