Cleaning rust quicker way than wire brushes but DIY solution

I’m looking for something that isn’t expensive that much but goes faster than wire brush. Not a pro solution but as a DIY.

I was thinking of a dremmel, but how powerful should it be for something like cleaning brake hats?

Why do you want to clean brake hats? Appearance?

I’d suggest a wire brush just to knock off the loose stuff and then paint it with POR-15 to encapsulate the rust.

Or something like Evapo-rust. It is a liquid you immerse the part into to chemically remove rust. Soak overnight and then dry and paint.

The BEST way to to paint the brand new rotor before it is installed on the car or buy one with E-coat on the non-friction surfaces already.

If you wanted to go to the trouble you can do this; although I think it’s a bit of trouble for a brake item.

Fill a small tub with water. Add washing soda. (NOT baking soda) Stir it up.
Attach the negative lead from a battery charger to the part.
Attach the positive lead to a piece of copper tubing.
Lower the end of the copper tubing into the water.
Do NOT allow it to touch the brake part.
Turn on the charger to a low setting.
Soon you will see the part starting to bubble as rust is transferred away to the tubing.
When cleaned, wipe off thoroughly.

This is the method I use to clean antique motorcycle parts. Doing this on ho-hum automotive brake parts may not be worth your time though.

No offence OK4450 but with the questions this poster has asked this sounds like a disaster ready to happen if he tries it.

Do you have a drill? Get a wire brush for it. Not for a Dremel, that’s too small.

2 Likes

Walmart sells a product in its automotive section called “rust converter.” All you need is sandpaper to get most of the rust off before you use it as a primer coat.

Oh yeah, that’s perfect.

It’s not appearance, it’s good measure to clean off the hats before putting the wheel back, with some anti seize to.

I could paint them you’re right or use.

Why? It’s pretty simple.

But like he said, it’s not worth the time.

I’ll second texases suggestion. The first step graduating from hand-held brushes is to visit the drill accessories aisle at HD or Lowes. Get a straight and cup brush, these will cover most smaller jobs. A flap disk works great on thicker scale.

Next step up is to get an angle sander. Not a grinder, that has too high RPMs. I’ve owned and used a 3/4hp sander for decades usign everything from brushes to flap disks to sand and even grind away welds. But it’s only for bigger jobs. Something like a brake rotor, your handheld battery operated drill works just fine. Just refurbished my 42" mower deck using that and finished it with POR-15. Better than new…