Classic Car

Volvo p1800 <-that’s my vote. Yah, it’s not a convertible…nor is it British…but hey, it kinda looks British.

All those little roadster cars do indeed sound fun to drive, but in reality I’d never drive one anywhere but the track. Public roads are just too dangerous for such small cars nowadays (just imagine an H2 tailgating you–it’d be terrifying).

Actually, you are more correct than you realize. The chassis of the P1800 was manufactured in Sweden, as you would expect. However, the chassis were then shipped to England in order to have the British-built body mounted on the chassis. It seems that the low volume of sales of the P1800 did not lend itself to the regular Volvo assembly line. So, in a sense, it is British, albeit more reliable than any British car of that era.

It ain’t the same. I too happen to be a lover of the old British leyland convertbles.

I recently looked at a restored/rewired Spitfire, early '70s vintage. I opened the hood, looked down, and realized there was almost nothing between the driver’s legs and the tin front bumper except air, a bit of tin, a few thin metal rods, and an engine the size of a computer “tower” of 10 years ago. It’s been years since I was able look down unobstructed past an engine onto the pavement.

I still almost bought the car. Spitfires were my favorites.

mountainbike- I like the idea of a spitfire. I would like to spend less than $12,000.

Like the idea of a spitfire.

And they’re an absolute blast to drive.

The one I looked at, restored into pristine condition, was about $6,500. You should be able to find one easily for way less that your limit. But be aware that they are a typical British ragtop, they need a lot of TLC. It’s worth it, however, if you’re willing.

Spits are great . . the engine compartment is really easy to get at . . . . wonder why? Had one of those, too. Before you get the car, get a good set of tools and a Haynes or Chiltons. Rocketman

One option which no one has mentioned is a replica car. There is a company in New Zealand (and probably others) which makes an MG-TF replica, with modern mechanicals (Miata) and fiberglass body-- the best of both worlds! And of course, there are MANY cobra and Lotus 7 replicas, all re-creating the look of the old cars, but without the headaches (or worries about damaging a “classic”-- same for the Porsche Speedster replicas available on eBay).

Yuck!

first you must buy what your heart likes or every dollar that is spent is a waste. you will dam thecar every day. if is a skoda or trident. or a 1957 chevy . it is fun of owning it. second do you want to restore a car of buy one from the shelf. are you looking for an investmet for
some thing to make money . remember car can change value as the years change. today common cars can be worth alot 30 years from now

I seriously doubt anyone will want a 30 year old Civic or Corolla. A Benz or Porsche or something like that, maybe, but most cars are treated(and some are made) to be disposable appliances.

Try Wisemann MF3. It is an all new car with classic british sports car looks and hopefully none of the woes. It has a BMW engine and apart from the looks it has modern technology to the boot and not a slouch by any means.

http://www.diseno-art.com/encyclopedia/vehicles/road/cars/wiesmann_roadster_mf3.html

…and it’s only about $100K more than what the OP wants to spend. Why is everyone trying to talk her into a new car?

Ok my bad. Couldnt resist though. That car looks awesome.

I’ve never even seen one in person, are they available in the U.S.?

Saw one in Chicago and couldnt resist just staring. Maybe some big wig had imported it.
Then I researched it a little bit and liked what I saw. Top gear also tested this car some time ago. You might be able to find the clip on the you tube.

I found this clip:

I came to this discussion late, but I’d like to add my two-cents worth anyway . . .

When I hear the term “classic convertable” the first thing that comes to mind is one of the old American late 50’s to early 60’s V8’s. I especially like the 57-58 Dodges and Plymouths. Big fins, wide bench seats made for drive-in movie smooching, lots of chrome, big fat tires, a soft ride and an engine that’ll knock you back into the rolled and pleated seats when you step on it. That’s just my preference, but there are lots of the fat, finned and chromed cars to choosed from. Try looking at the web sites that specialize in selling classic cars to see what makes your heart flutter, then go for it.

I just came across your post… My uncle has a 1967 MGB for sale here in NY if your interested just let me know I can foward you some pics…