Classic Car Electrical problem

My apologies, I had not popped the distributor cap yet and thought I had points. It is actually an electronic distributor (the type Chrysler started using in 1972 (my RR is a 1970, but with a mid 70’s 440 engine). I replaced the ballast resistor, but that did not fix it. I don’t think it’s the coil. Still hear the buzzing noise. The mystery continues.

@Yosemite, I fished it out with a long pair of needle-nose pliers.

Electronic ignition or not, the same principle should apply because I would assume the electronic dist. is also tang driven.

Here’s a distributor for a '75 Coronet 440. Note the tang. The method of spark creation is different but the drive methodogy appears to be the same.

https://www.autozone.com/ignition-tune-up-and-routine-maintenance/distributor/duralast-gold-new-distributor/193519_0_4618

You might have a bad pickup inside the distributor, but first things first. Check for spark. You can pull the coil lead from the distributor and put it near a ground (block) and have someone crank the engine while you check for spark. I recommend using a non conductive material to set on the block and hang the end of the coil lead over it with the tip about 1/8" away from the ground. You really don’t want to hold onto the lead, trust me.

If you do not have spark, most likely the pickup (aka ignitor) is bad. However, turn the engine until one of the vanes is lined up with the pickup. Then slip a 0.010 feeler gauge in the gap, it should just fit. Now push on the distributor shaft away from the pickup and see if the gap grows. If the gap grows significantly, then just replace the whole distributor because the shaft bushing is worn out. In the long run it will be cheaper.