Class B camper van?

I’m thinking about buying a camper van. I’d like one that is as close to minivan size as possible (as opposed to a big 'ol winnebago). I’m just starting to look and would appreciate finding out what makes and models are the better ones. Especially ones with a bed an adult can sleep in, as opposed to only 9-year-olds.

Regardless which ones we recommend, you need to find out which ones are available in your area. the best way to do this is to go to a few RV dealerships in your area. It wouldn’t do much good to recommend a particular model, only to find out it isn’t available where you live. In fact, before you go to the lot, you could check out some RV dealers’ web sites and look at the floor plans and interior pictures from some of the models they have in stock.

What I can tell you is that I prefer the ones that are based on Chevy/GMC vans. The ones based on Ford vans are nice too, but for some reason, I like them less. The ones based on the Dodge/Freightliner Sprinter are popular, but they are also more expensive since they have Mercedes diesel engines, and are sometimes less reliable.

If you plan to put hundreds of thousands of miles on this RV, consider getting a diesel. If this is just a pleasure vehicle for occasional vacations, get one that runs on gasoline.

If you are unhappy with what you find at the dealerships, you could make your own class B RV. My grandmother did this with a Chevy van when I was a child. She made fixtures out of plywood, including two beds with storage underneath, storage cabinets, and a sink with a plastic basin. One bed was across the back, and one was along the side opposite the sliding door, and it folded into a couch for sitting when it wasn’t in use as a bed. The sink and cooler blocked access to the sliding door, so she had to get in and out using the front doors. She carpeted the floor and the sides, tinted the rear windows, and made screens for the windows.