Choosing Lincoln vs. Lexus

These days choosing a dealer is more difficult than ever. Example : The 10 O’clock news had an commercial about a certain Chevrolet dealer . I drove by the next day and the sign was being changed to another name . There is a large Nissan dealer lot that is under new management for the 3rd time in less then a year.

@VOLVO_V70. It’s almost as hard to choose an independent shop. I had had our vehicles serviced at the same independent shop for more than 25 years. The manager changed and suddenly the shop was finding things wrong that really didn’t need to be fixed. When I got suspicious, I got a second and third opinion and found out there wasn’t a problem.
The Toyota dealership and Chevrolet dealership are stable in my locale. We have neither a Nissan dealer nor a Volkswagen dealer, nor a Subaru dealer at the present time. I find this odd for a university town.
I had colleagues when I was still with the university who owned Mercedes Benz and BMW vehicles. The nearest dealer for these products is 55 miles away. For me, this would be an inconvenience.

RWD cars make DIY maintenance so easy. Like changing the rear valve cover gasket on my Toyota Avalon. Or, having to change half shafts for the second time due to torn boots. [sarcasm off]. Put a couple of hundred pounds in the trunk of my Cressida, and that car would do just as well in snow as my Avalon. I fail to see the advantage of FWD

1 Like

Though none of this applies to Lois’ question. I prefer the ‘feel’ when driving a RWD. Have owned and driven both. The primary advantage seems to be in manufacturing, engine/transmission and front suspension assembly is just lifted into place and secured with a few bolts.

1 Like

I will need a car for more than 3 years - so buying is better. One more yes for the Lexus. I’m beginning to realize the sad fact that Lincoln is not what it used to be. Thank you.

We don’t properly teach people how to drive in this country. We don’t teach car control, or how to steer with the throttle. And even worse, we don’t teach concepts like lift-off oversteer, which means drivers don’t discover them until they spin out and hit a building.

FWD eliminates a lot of the dangers of not understanding how car control works, and since the driving public is in general thoroughly uninterested in learning anything about their car save how to integrate their phones into the display, it’s a necessary evil.

3 Likes