Choose between three different types of cars

gasoline
selling
fuel-economy

I am a recent grad from college and just got my first job. I need to get an affordable car that. I would like to get good gas mileage but comfort and reliablility is more important. I have looked at the 2008 Chevy Malibu, 2008 Saturn aura, and the 2009 Toyota Corolla. Out of the three, what are pro and cons of both and, if you had to pick one, which one and why?

Corolla unless you need more room that the Malibu offers. Reason is an average Corolla costs less than $14K, is fairly cheap to maintain over time, and is not too hard to service. We have owned two Corollas (91 & 94) and they provided outstanding, reliable service and got 32+ mpg. The 94 is on the road and has 225K miles on it. No major engine or trans work. Some suspension and clutch work. If you keep up the recommended maintenance schedule, you are rewarded with an extremely reliable car.

Actually, that would be something like 2 1/2 different types of cars: The Malibu and Aura share the same platform.

In your position, I would choose…none of the above. Financially, it is a better bet to find a well-cared-for used car 2-3 years old, and let someone else take the biggest depreciation hit.

Both answers are logically correct. However, over my lifetime I have noted that people’s emotions are important and often more important than logic.

For example, is the Corolla a pleasant car for you to be in? If not, you may dump it much sooner than its condition would indicate. If you like all three, then yes to the Corolla.

As far as buying used, NYBo is logically correct. However, many young people once they start making money do want a brand new car, and I can sure understand that.

On the other hand, do look carefully at this job and make sure before you take on a several year loan that you really have a several year job. Look at what would happen if you did have an unexpected job loss. You could end up with no car, not even money for an old beater.

There is a talk show host who advises people to never borrow for a car. I did when I was young, but it is something to think about.

However, based on your clear statement that you wished to buy a new car, Corolla looks good to me, Drive it to be sure you like it before you buy.

corolla, corolla and corolla.

a used (2 or 3 years old) lease return will save you around 2 or 3 grand.

tough car, safe car, around 36 mpg and dependable. NONE or your other choices even come close.